OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Gu td42ti workshop does terribile job huge dissapointment...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu td42ti workshop does terribile job huge dissapointment...

Hi all been a lurker on this forum for afew years now but this is my first ever post and sadly for me not a happy one a that and need some advice/opinons how issues should be tackled..
    i recently got my 05 gu patrol ute with the td42ti engine into a pretty well known workshop in my area (western sydney) for a tune.
    mod lists i bought this ute stock standard untouched other then 3'' exhaust 2 years ago with 150k on clock up untill this date ive slowly done some mods started off with upgraded airbox/catchcan and fiitted a safari snorkel removed the stock HT18 turbo and fitted a p4x4 16g..
    now im not clueless in mechanical/performance world ect ive built quiet afew highish hp petrol turbo 4cly motors and also some high hp outboard boat motors...
    i am sort of new to the diesel world but have done lots of reasearch into tuning my specific engine and reliased i wasnt experienced enough to want to tackle the tune myself so done research on a reptable workshop that seemed to know the td42s well now early morning dropped my ute off at which was booked in from week before hand...at about 1.30pm got a call my ute was all tuned and ready to go so went in he told me it made a healthy/safe 150hp so payed the guy and drove home...now upon driving it i realised it feels alittle weird on the on/off throttle transition but couldnt put my finger on it thought maybe the extra power down low was making it feel weird...now i never used ac on the way home untill towards the end of trip and this is where everything goes down hill..i turn ac on and reliased theres not idile up i orginally thought maybe they bumped a hose of the ac soleniod working on pump....but come to find they dissconnected the wire to soleniod alarm bells where ringing now..plugged in the soleniod and of course revs shoot up to 1300rpm and my heart sank...looking at everything they butchered my
    main fuel screw cover off which there lucky they didnt actually snap the main screw off the housing how they bashed it off.....so i can see they turned the cowboy screw up (mainscrew) and adjusted the throttle back to lower the revs...... from everything ive have researched this is the cowboy way and totally wrong way to do as it messes up the tps voltage and im guessing this is where my weird hestiation is coming from at this point im fuming beyond belief....having a real hard look i cannot see a single witness mark that the top plate/compensator ect as ever had a spanner on it.....my guess they simply tuned my car off the fuel screw which i could have done for free at home....now i havnt had a chance to contact the guy as he was closed buy the time i found everything out...my intentions on monday is to be civil about everything and say to put my car back to how it was reason been it dont want them to have the excuse that i was trying to get a free tune or something i relaistcally dont want them near my car again... and i want a refund for a full tune that they only probably spent 10 minutes on...does everyone think this is reasonable???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate. Sorry to hear the poor experience.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuck View Post
    Welcome to the forum mate. Sorry to hear the poor experience.
    Cheers mate kind of messed up not realising this was the indroduction section hopefully admin can help me delete this so I can do proper introduction..

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate I have moved your thread to general chat. If you could do an intro thread too it would be welcomed.

A shame about the tune. How much did you pay? Clearly they don't know how to tune the Ti pump and the idle up and as you suggested did a cowboy tune. Dis the6 g8ve you the Dyno read outs? Was it tuned on a Dyno? Please tell me it was.

You could complain and I would go find a b8g hill first and give it a big boot full and watch your exhaust temps with the AC reconnected and see how well it is actually tuned.

Depending what you paid it may be easier to cut your losses, name and shame and find a better tuner.

Good luck, let us know how you go for sure.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hey mate I have moved your thread to general chat. If you could do an intro thread too it would be welcomed.

A shame about the tune. How much did you pay? Clearly they don't know how to tune the Ti pump and the idle up and as you suggested did a cowboy tune. Dis the6 g8ve you the Dyno read outs? Was it tuned on a Dyno? Please tell me it was.

You could complain and I would go find a b8g hill first and give it a big boot full and watch your exhaust temps with the AC reconnected and see how well it is actually tuned.

Depending what you paid it may be easier to cut your losses, name and shame and find a better tuner.

Good luck, let us know how you go for sure.
    orginally i didnt think it went on a dyno after seeing the issues... but photos later on showed it on the dyno....the tune cost me $500 which i know is on the more expensive side for mechanical td42ti but didnt really worry me if the job was done right....egts arnt to bad driving normally but driving the other day to borrow a mates scan tool to read the tps volts... going up thiss big hill not thinking thank god for my egt gauge with an alarm it hit 670c where me alarm is set and backed up....

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundy1 View Post
    orginally i didnt think it went on a dyno after seeing the issues... but photos later on showed it on the dyno....the tune cost me $500 which i know is on the more expensive side for mechanical td42ti but didnt really worry me if the job was done right....egts arnt to bad driving normally but driving the other day to borrow a mates scan tool to read the tps volts... going up thiss big hill not thinking thank god for my egt gauge with an alarm it hit 670c where me alarm is set and backed up....
    Is that pre or post Turbo????

If that is Post Turbo then that is a Disgrace.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundy1 View Post
    Wow, that is more than double what my dyno tune cost me. Admiitedly my tune is conservative with a 13.2 max boost, but I have my EGT (post turbo) alarm set at 525c & I have to try to reach that. A few years on from my dyno & I'm still very happy with the result. They essentially gave me what I asked for...... better towing ability.

If you are in Vic or SA Mudrunner can recommend a good dyno tuner in Geelong who is worth travelling to.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Is that pre or post Turbo????

If that is Post Turbo then that is a Disgrace.
    It is pre turbo but this is when the alarm went off and realised could have easy went another 100c if I didn’t here the alarm I’m thinking