Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Machine Head in or near Sydney

Hi All,

Sorry if this has already been said but I've been searching on the forums with no solid results.

My first time doing a head gasket change and I've got a GQ engine in a GU patrol. It all looks pretty clean on the inside so not even sure it was leaking but I've tried lots of things before the head came off and figured, might as well rule this out since I'm keeping her for a while. Old gasket looks good and just no signs that I can see of issues but I'm not expert.

I called one guy and without knowing anything else except it's a GQ TD42 engine with a turbo, he said it's definitely cracked so he quoted $600. It was a brief conversation with him, maybe under a minute, but I was shocked that he was so confident it's cracked. Of course I hope it's not but got me thinking... I should probably check with more experienced folks online for more advice as well. So do you think this sounds right? Is it almost certain something's cracked just because it's a GQ TD42 with turbo?

I prefer to take the head to someone who is recommended by more experienced folks here. Can anybody recommend anybody in or near the Sydney area?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any recommendations specifically, but definitely get a second opinion. Any decent engine machine shop should be able to test the head for you to confirm any doubts.

That fella just sounds like he's trying to make a quick sale.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my head re machined at rams in Windsor was great work 4 angle seat cut etc, also Duncan foster could also help you out just call around to see how much for a crack test and or a head service