Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3" to 2" Lift Advice

Hello All, Looking for some advice on my suspension setup

1988 Safari Grandroad High Roof Touring Truck. TD42, 24V (2 batteries) Factory Bull Bar and PTO Winch, Fridge, 3 Draws, Aux Belly Tank, 32" M/T, Roof Top Tent. plus camping equipment

Currently, I am running a set of 3" King Spring KDFR 42-sp3, KDRR 43-sp3HD. Foam Cell Shocks Front (560-325 mm Open to Closed) 9 1/4" travel. Foam Cell Shocks Rear (718-428) 11 1/2" travel. 80 series style extended bump stop kit. Rear Coil Retainers (Hand the rear spring unseat when flexing one day and not settle right). It takes the bumps wells, flexes good and holds the weight well and overall happy with the setup.

I am looking to swap into a 2" kit as it's my family camper and we do remote camping I avoid crazy stuff due to young children, also a 3" lift with 1" on tyres is not legit in QLD. My other concern is with the high roof and a bit of gear plus a rooftop tent, I suspect my centre of gravity is a bit high and don't want it falling on its side.

I can get a set of springs for 120 bucks new (neighbour is buying the old springs 2,000km on them) but don't want to have to dump 700-1000 in shocks aswell. I would rather get a turbo for the TD as it is slow up hills.

Questions:

1) I assume those shocks are way too long for a 2" kit?

2) King Spring has recommended KDFR 42HD fronts and KDPR 43 HD rear. the spring rates are similar but its a swap the rear to a progressive spring. when asking the guy why and if it would squat as the truck is always fully loaded he said it was fine and not an issue?

3) Any issues with the extended bump stops in a 2" kit, the 3" kit did need them.

also any other thoughts or opinions to my situation

Thanks in advanced

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Called around to a few equippers and answered the 1st questions about shocks

3" shocks on a 2" lift is no issue and the shocks I have are only 8-12 mm longer than the "3 inch" shocks recommended.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What Caster correction do you have? do you run the front and rear sway bars still?

I have a GUIV and have had it with a 3" lift under it for 220,000kms and think it is exactly how it should be. I run 3" Drop boxes on the front for caster and recently re-fitted the front sway bar back on after running 230,000kms without it. If it aint broke then i'd be inclined to leave it be. You will get a Mod Plate in QLD for your setup no probs i think.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just have minimal castor correct bushes in it for a 2-3 inch lift.

Rear sway bar is in and I am installing a front. new springs ended up costing me 80 bucks ( sold the old ones for 250 plus black friday sale ) so I went and got them.

In QLD any suspension lift over 2" requires a govenrment high speed lane change test now and its just a pain, plus gets costly. Near brisbane when its the busy time for 4wd they have been setting up checks for illegal lifts etc. 3 of my GQ mates have already been defected. one for 3" lift. one for no front sway bar and one for 33" tyres.

I will just cut my 3" lift rear sway bar links down and got new extendeds for the front, plus factory front bump stops. figured on a 2" lift the lost up travel you get with 80 series style bump stops is not worth it for the progressive stop.