Thread: Onboard Air tank

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onboard Air tank

Hi all, currently using an Ironman Pro compressor but am a bit tired of lugging it around and popping the hood etc. Has anybody used an air tank on their Y61 patrol and if so, do you notice any speed increases when inflating tyres and what's your setup? We're up the beach every 2 or 3 days so inflating does get a bit tiresome. Was thinking of a Boss 9 litre tank and using my existing pump but hard wiring it somewhere in the rear wit the air tank under the chassis somewhere. Running air sockets front and rear to plug into to use an air gun ... thoughts

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Air Tanks (Accumulators) are mainly for regulated pressure and/or hi-flow applications IE air tools etc.

They will help a bit... but... if you have a hi-volume such as the Ironman or twin cylinder Compressor and all you want to do is simplify the setting up then mounting and hard wiring will usually not see a lot of difference if any at all between comp alone or comp + tank.

In your case I would hard wire the Comp and go for it... you can add the Tank later if needs be
    Last edited by the evil twin; 25th November 2019 at 02:26 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's kinda what I found out watching a few videos. They timed inflating a tyre from a tank that was at 150psi and it was only a few seconds off of what i get with my compressor. I thought perhaps a slightly larger tank would make a difference ..

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have an air tank that Im going to mount on the cargo barrier.
    Mainly for an air horn and some maintenance {air filter}
    I also have a compressor with the tank attached.
    Ill grab some pics soon
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    Well that's kinda what I found out watching a few videos. They timed inflating a tyre from a tank that was at 150psi and it was only a few seconds off of what i get with my compressor. I thought perhaps a slightly larger tank would make a difference ..
    Nah, not for tyre inflation or any other low flow hi-pressure applications... the tank just wastes space really plus you need a condensate drain it and have a blow off valve in case of overpressure from expansion.

I had one on my Ute with an Endless Air engine driven Comp because it was an ex-wheat farm vehicle so had to do a lot of maintenance duties with air tools, dusting pistols etc IE hi flow, lo pressure which means a tank is an absolute must.

Agree with threedogs in that you need one for air horns as well
    Last edited by the evil twin; 25th November 2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evil Twin is on the money Timbo mate!
    My utes 20L tank is primarily used for instant 150psi short blasts for coil less rear on air bag suspension needs and the likes of tyre bead reseating and or paddock maintenance etc...
    Good quality hardwired or mechanical compressors are the real hero for normal tyre inflation although you can still save only a few extra measly minutes between each corner overall as the tank will recharge slightly found depending on how quick you move to the next tyre.
    Tanks absolutely must have a water separator as ET kindly suggests as I once came undone with blocking my locker solenoids in our mountains pre-installation of below.

The Bunnings bought JFlex 9M reel works an absolute treat with its companion 240v automatic inflator plugged into my 12v inverter. (a loud ‘beep beep beep’ it says ready)
    Have kept the annoying spring coil hose that came with it for now as my seperate direct line/link to tank for blasting needs.
    (A work in progress:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I think your right ... is there a way to have a remote switch at the tyre end of the hose? I saw a good photo of a member who has the pump mounted in the rear wing .. a remote trigger for the compressor would be good

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure mate, sounds great though Could’ve saved my ‘Powerpass’ a few hundred years back :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wee bit boring/slow but here’s the pre-installation tests using a crappy little shed ‘Stanley’ 240v compressor that’s only half as good as the utes in cab (a/c comfort) mounted ARB 12v twin.

https://youtu.be/i7CGMYmN9qQ
    Deflation is just way too easy these days, set and walk away forget!

https://youtu.be/FqSqq69jtWk
    Inflation same same story never looking back with my crook knees hating squats:-)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm ideas ideas :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo2410 For This Useful Post:

MB (25th November 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast