Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    went to a tyre company owned by a bloke at my golf club to get a price on 5 x Mickey Thompson ATZ P3’s and he quoted me $350 per tyre fitted.

Over the moon as a quote I did online with Mickey Thompson came back at $425 per tyre (not fitted).

Happy Chappy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome mate that's a good price.
    Jut scored your self some of the best tyres around.
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip12345 View Post
    I just run BFG I changed to Mickey Thompson ( got rid of them quickly rubbish ) back to BFGs
    Your choice.

Funny I had Mickey Thompson a few years ago and really thought they were good.

Some mates talked me into BFG muddies and they are the worst tyres I’ve ever had.

Back Mickey for me.

Everyone to their own

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touses View Post
    I'm with you Tip, BFG for the win. Wear better than a pro's money maker and perform off road with the best of 'em.
    Last set of Mickey Thompson’s I got just over 100k’s out of them. Admittedly I looked after and rotated every 10k

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 753 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnercu View Post
    Nitto Mud Grapplers are the best.
    Yep, I'm impressed with mine.

I think they may be the first set of tyres in which the outside edges of the tyres haven't scalloped out, you know when half a lug is normal height, the other half is worn away.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Last set of Mickey Thompson’s I got just over 100k’s out of them. Admittedly I looked after and rotated every 10k

Hi bloke. Like you I rotate my tyres every service. The bfg at's on the smaller rig have done a touch over 100k. I'll get one more rotation out of 'em
    and then it's time to replace. Been excellent value, not so much as a slow leak, never mind a puncture or sidewall tear. They have done the hard yards
    over all sorts of terrain, bar snow, and handled it with aplomb. I'll be sticking with them for sure.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to see you guys getting 100K out of tyres, which is great. I look at mine and they're about a bit more than half worn and I wouldn't be game to take them away on any remote trips.

I'm guessing you guys scoot around on your tyres close to home when they get low to get up to that 100,000 km mark?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently running the Nitto Trail Grapplers and went with this choice as I had done two sidewalls on my BFG KM2's so I decided to look for the toughest sidewall tyres around. Nitto/Toyo kept coming up so I made the change.

With regard to the BFG sidewalls - I did one at 90kph on a Gulf trip between Burketown and Roper Bar where the road is rocky and corrugated and I probably sliced it on a rock, and the other was staked on a narrow track. That was my second set of BFG's. My observations - I liked the BFG up to about the 50,000klm mark, at which point they became hard and slippery on wet bitumen. Probably 3yrs old at that stage. I liked them offroad and even onroad for a mud tyre up until they hardened up. I got a fair bit of lug chipping but nothing out of the ordinary. The pucker factor from the sidewall blowout at 90kph just helped me decide to explore other options.

With regard to the NITTO Trail Grappler - they are heavier than the BFG for sure. I have now done 45,000klm on them and at around the 40k mark I noticed them starting to get a bit slippery on wet bitumen. I am now very careful on roundabouts if there is any rain around. Feels like driving on glass. I suspect I will realistically get 50K out of them but I am looking to change them out now as we get closer to the FNQ wet season. I have found them great off road, and even on sand, where I have had them down to 8psi. The heavier sidewall means that you really do need to drop the pressures more significantly. I have had no punctures or blow outs though which was my main criteria. There has been a reasonable amount of lug chipping but with regular rotations they have all worn fairly evenly. These tyres have given me confidence in them for real remote stuff and on many trips I have actually stopped carrying a second spare.

From what I've seen over the years, the most common tyres (in FNQ at least) are still probably the BFG, and for good reason. The Toyo and Nitto would now however be a close second. The Toyo has been around for a bit longer and is better known but both carcases have the same sidewall internals. In my circles, most of the blokes who really travel remotely appear to go with the Toyo Mud Terrain.

I have more recently been looking at getting the Toyo Open Country R/T or the Nitto Ridge Grappler. Same sidewall as the mud terrain tyre but a little less agressive and would be better for touring. Unfortunately they don't import the Ridge Grappler in 285/75/16 as I like the look of it the best. Might be the Toyo R/T for me.

The Toyo A/T does not have the same sidewalls as the R/T or the M/T and I've heard some very negative views on them.

Just my experience. Sidewall strength is still my highest priority in choosing a tyre. It might not be for others.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    I'm currently running the Nitto Trail Grapplers and went with this choice as I had done two sidewalls on my BFG KM2's so I decided to look for the toughest sidewall tyres around. Nitto/Toyo kept coming up so I made the change.

With regard to the BFG sidewalls - I did one at 90kph on a Gulf trip between Burketown and Roper Bar where the road is rocky and corrugated and I probably sliced it on a rock, and the other was staked on a narrow track. That was my second set of BFG's. My observations - I liked the BFG up to about the 50,000klm mark, at which point they became hard and slippery on wet bitumen. Probably 3yrs old at that stage. I liked them offroad and even onroad for a mud tyre up until they hardened up. I got a fair bit of lug chipping but nothing out of the ordinary. The pucker factor from the sidewall blowout at 90kph just helped me decide to explore other options.

With regard to the NITTO Trail Grappler - they are heavier than the BFG for sure. I have now done 45,000klm on them and at around the 40k mark I noticed them starting to get a bit slippery on wet bitumen. I am now very careful on roundabouts if there is any rain around. Feels like driving on glass. I suspect I will realistically get 50K out of them but I am looking to change them out now as we get closer to the FNQ wet season. I have found them great off road, and even on sand, where I have had them down to 8psi. The heavier sidewall means that you really do need to drop the pressures more significantly. I have had no punctures or blow outs though which was my main criteria. There has been a reasonable amount of lug chipping but with regular rotations they have all worn fairly evenly. These tyres have given me confidence in them for real remote stuff and on many trips I have actually stopped carrying a second spare.

From what I've seen over the years, the most common tyres (in FNQ at least) are still probably the BFG, and for good reason. The Toyo and Nitto would now however be a close second. The Toyo has been around for a bit longer and is better known but both carcases have the same sidewall internals. In my circles, most of the blokes who really travel remotely appear to go with the Toyo Mud Terrain.

I have more recently been looking at getting the Toyo Open Country R/T or the Nitto Ridge Grappler. Same sidewall as the mud terrain tyre but a little less agressive and would be better for touring. Unfortunately they don't import the Ridge Grappler in 285/75/16 as I like the look of it the best. Might be the Toyo R/T for me.

The Toyo A/T does not have the same sidewalls as the R/T or the M/T and I've heard some very negative views on them.

Just my experience. Sidewall strength is still my highest priority in choosing a tyre. It might not be for others.
    Interesting. I've not kept a count, but I'd have to have done at least 40,000kms on my Nittos, I don't get the feeling of driving on glass, not that means anything I guess, there are so many variables.

8psi is very low, I'm guessing you didn't have beadlocks? Not sure I'd be game to go that low. I deflated my set of 265/70x17 Copper ST Maxxs down to 15 psi and they really bagged out. Had the Nittos down to 15 and they don't look much different to when they're at 30.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, had to tow the tinny up a huge sand dune in the middle of the day and the sand was super soft and deep. I'd had them to 10psi before on several occasions with no issue and had no issue at 8psi. Even at that pressure the sidewall bagging isn't extreme but not sure I would want to go any lower that's for sure.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touses View Post
    Hi bloke. Like you I rotate my tyres every service. The bfg at's on the smaller rig have done a touch over 100k. I'll get one more rotation out of 'em
    and then it's time to replace. Been excellent value, not so much as a slow leak, never mind a puncture or sidewall tear. They have done the hard yards
    over all sorts of terrain, bar snow, and handled it with aplomb. I'll be sticking with them for sure.
    Excellent. I’m sure it’s all about rotating regularly. My tyres also get used on a range of terrain. Sand, mud, rock and of course highway.

Forget money (which I suppose is important) when you find a set of tyres that works for you all good, but while you rave about your tyres there will always be someone who has a horror story about the same tyres.

Don’t know why, it’s just a fact.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast