Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Tyres Time

It has probably been asked a 1000 time.

I’m up for new rubber for my 2005 GU (STS) 4.2 TD

I’m thinking Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 or Cooper ST (both around $420 each and I want five)

They are both expensive tyres, but in my opinion - worth it.

What have all you members had and would you buy them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ADMIN - I’ve obviously put this in wrong place. Please move to general discussion

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shakey55 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th November 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont mind the Nitto Trail Grapplers on my JK (on my 3rd set) and the recently acquired pooey came with new terra grapplers but I have not had it long enough to rate them, quiet tho and good on bitumen and snow, made in Japan.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    It has probably been asked a 1000 time.

I’m up for new rubber for my 2005 GU (STS) 4.2 TD

I’m thinking Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 or Cooper ST (both around $420 each and I want five)

They are both expensive tyres, but in my opinion - worth it.

What have all you members had and would you buy them again.

I would never run Coopers again. I had one De-Laminate at 100km/h and Coopers offered me a Hat.......

I am on my second set of KM2s and paid $300 a corner and been very very happy with them.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (19th November 2019), mudski (19th November 2019), shakey55 (19th November 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mickey Thompson's P3s. End of story.
    Have ran them now since they got released circa 2013. Awesome tyre. Wears nicely and keeps up decently with even the muddies.
    Has very low noise.

I am yet to hear anything good a out the Cooper's .
    2005 TD42TI

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

shakey55 (19th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend had all four of his Coopers delaminate on his Honda CRV over time. Wouldn't touch'em with a barge pole.

Your question will get a variety of answers, but would be most useful to you if you add what sort of mix of driving you want to do.

From my perspective for sealed road use, dirt road use & off road in many conditions I have found Bridgestone's D697's excellent. However I will change next time I'm up for a set, but ours get used for a fair bit of remote solo travel, at times in conditions where the risk of sidewall damage is great & the one thing I have come to dislike about the D697's is they have thinner sidewalls which bulge out more than some of their competitors making them vulnerable. I went through a set without any problem, but in the back of my mind was concern about the vulnerability. This was cemented when I lost a 10 day old tyre when a small unseen rock , at moderate speeds put a 3" gash through a sidewall. This would be less of an issue on lighter vehicles, but ours at touring weight (close to the extended GVM of 3900 kg) means we often have to keep pressures higher than I'd prefer to keep the side walls of the rear tyres out of harms way. That said I have run them as low as 18 psi over long distances in sandy country & they managed very well. Different story in rocky country. Based upon what I have observed to be the most popular among locals throughout the Pilbara & Kimberley my next tyres will be either BFGoodrich or Toyo AT's. Both have a heavier side wall, plus extra rubber shouldrr protection compared to the Bridgestone. They may cost more (& I run 9 tyres) but I know the extra peace of mind they'll bring will be worth it.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 19th November 2019 at 07:23 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (19th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I would never run Coopers again. I had one De-Laminate at 100km/h and Coopers offered me a Hat.......

I am on my second set of KM2s and paid $300 a corner and been very very happy with them.
    Wouldnt put coppers on me wheelbarrow,is a common saying

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

shakey55 (19th November 2019), Woof (19th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,515 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KO2's for me, just did a 9,500km trip towing with them on some pretty ordinary roads. Still look as good as new.
    Also have a set of KM2's but didn't put them on this winter.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    Wouldnt put coppers on me wheelbarrow

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Nah me neither, they could walk on their own two bloody feet!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (26th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,997 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My km2 have done about 55,000ks rotated regularly and are just under 1/2 worn.

When times comes for a new set I'll wouldn't mind trying what Hodge has.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast