OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Cheap starter motors on eBay any good ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Cheap starter motors on eBay any good ?

Hi Patrollers ,
    On eBay I see a huge range of cheap starter motors for my GQ - priced around $80 . In the past I (before ebay became so big) used to pay around $250 mark and more.
    Are those cheap ones any good ?
    Jacob

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb How I fixed my starter motor on 1992 GQ Petrol

The starter pinion gear was not engaging with the fly wheel.(made loud noise, starter gear on ring gear) Removed starter motor(2 bolts) Placed in vice. Removed 3 screws from plate on pinion end.This is an original S/M.
    Lifted gear out. Using brake cleaner and rags, thoroughly cleaned old caked grease till clean. Had purchased new pinion, & shaft($60) + new S/M. Thoroughly lithium(spray) greased inside and replaced new part & end plate 3 screws.(put some locktite on ea screw to inhibit vibrating lose)
    Replaced starter(difficult job) you need a drift to insert into top bell housing hole to align bolt/lugs. Get bottom bolt in (not tight) then top bolt aligned & in. Tightened top & bottom bolts. Connect power wires.
    Also recommend removing oil filter beforehand for more manoeuvre room (on removing & replacing S/M)
    The above for me, was a difficult job. I'd purchased a new starter and
    pinon gear,(direct from a Victorian eBay trader, but not through Ebay) in the end only needed $60 gear. New S/M is now a spare.
    I was surprised how it worked.
    I saved labour costs and have a new spare. Had a beer & relaxed
    Cheers

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supplier,
    TRUMP AUTO ELECTRICAL PARTS PTY. LTD.
    12 CHAFFEY ST
    THOMASTOWN, VICTORIA, 3074 Australia
    +61-413107435
    Company Type: Corporation Independent

$185 total = 1 new starter motor (nose cone style) for 1992 Nissan GQ petrol man 4.2L ($135) + ($50) new gear replacement for Hitachi -S114-471A 9th
    Contact David - 0413 107 435)
    BSB: 083324
    ACCT: 825018133

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How long is a piece of string? It all depends if you want to experiment with your cash.

A reputable company will sell you a tried and tested product.

Recently talked to an HQ owner that decided to save money on an engine rebuild and bought cheap pistons on EBay.

Result : dropped a piston crown and was lucky not to have put the rod through the block.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

LandRoverGhost (19th December 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    Supplier,
    TRUMP AUTO ELECTRICAL PARTS PTY. LTD.
    12 CHAFFEY ST
    THOMASTOWN, VICTORIA, 3074 Australia
    +61-413107435
    Company Type: Corporation Independent

$185 total = 1 new starter motor (nose cone style) for 1992 Nissan GQ petrol man 4.2L ($135) + ($50) new gear replacement for Hitachi -S114-471A 9th
    Contact David - 0413 107 435)
    BSB: 083324
    ACCT: 825018133
    NEVER buy from this crook. I bought an alternator from him, lasted two weeks. Got the wife to take it back, he refused to warrant it saying it has had water it in.
    Last edited by mudski; 19th December 2019 at 03:24 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

LandRoverGhost (19th December 2019), rusty_nail (19th December 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I was I was just lucky, I received better treatment then the above. The purpose of the post was to explain how I did the job. You can buy from anyone. My initial problem was to find the right S/M & repair part. I didn't know I could buy to internal part.
    & David put me in the know.
    EBay, Aliexpress, Banggood are always doggy platforms at the best times. I try and pay by PAYPAL incase there's a product problem for a refund.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PPN For This Useful Post:

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe I was I was just lucky, I received better treatment then the above. The purpose of the post was to explain how I did the job. You can buy from anyone. My initial problem was to find the right S/M & repair part. I didn't know I could buy to internal part.
    & David put me in the know.
    EBay, Aliexpress, Banggood are always doggy platforms at the best times. I try and pay by PAYPAL incase there's a product problem for a refund.
    Fair enough. 90% of Ebay parts like starters and alternators are cheap rubbish sold by the same people who just want to flood the market with rubbish. Expect to get what you pay for...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The starter pinion gear was not engaging with the fly wheel.(made loud noise, starter gear on ring gear) Removed starter motor(2 bolts) Placed in vice. Removed 3 screws from plate on pinion end.This is an original S/M.
    Lifted gear out. Using brake cleaner and rags, thoroughly cleaned old caked grease till clean. Had purchased new pinion, & shaft($60) + new S/M. Thoroughly lithium(spray) greased inside and replaced new part & end plate 3 screws.(put some locktite on ea screw to inhibit vibrating lose)
    Replaced starter(difficult job) you need a drift to insert into top bell housing hole to align bolt/lugs. Get bottom bolt in (not tight) then top bolt aligned & in. Tightened top & bottom bolts. Connect power wires.
    Also recommend removing oil filter beforehand for more manoeuvre room (on removing & replacing S/M)
    The above for me, was a difficult job. I'd purchased a new starter and
    pinon gear,(direct from a Victorian eBay trader, but not through Ebay) in the end only needed $60 gear. New S/M is now a spare.
    I was surprised how it worked.
    I saved labour costs and have a new spare. Had a beer & relaxed
    Cheers

Thanks - bought a new one from the local garage - $239.
    Indeed what a crazy job to remove the startermotor. That was one of the few easy job on my long gone Land Rover :-)
    But found out the old one was original Nissan - maybe it lasted all the 400k - so kept it and might rebuild.
    cheers.