3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only people who are disappointed or have fails/poor experiences blog/post on the 'net.
    For example no-one looking on the net would ever buy a Patrol cause there are 1'000's of reports of the front wheels wobbling.
    In old mates case he was expecting similar performance to lead acid after the alarms and Lith doesn't work that way... it holds up and then falls off the cliff.
    Cordless power tools are a great example... on Lith batteries they run normally for almost all the battery capacity then give you a tad bit of warning they are about to die and moments later will be flat as a shit carters hat

Everything has advantages/disadvantages and can also be installed or used incorrectly or chosen for totally the wrong application.

Imagine your Cordless Drill being powered by lead acid tech instead of Lithium.
    It would weigh twice as much, the charge would last approx 1/4 the time per use and the Battery would be shot after about a month.

For deep cycle apps (eg power tools), voltage sensitive devices (eg Waeco Fridges), weight, space, discharge cycle life, high current use (jump packs the size of a good book can lie around for 12 months but will start a 6.5 litre engine), cost over lifetime or any combination of these then Lithium wins with daylight second.

Lead Acid wins for initial outlay, ease of management and suits occasional short discharge and maintenance charging applications (yes, I know you can get deep cycle but lead acid tech is not ideal and you get, what, 50% of the capacity as useable if your lucky).

At current prices I would probably buy a Lith Cranker only if I needed to save space or weight but for almost anything else then its Lith first and daylight second if installed and managed correctly
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

10G (11th November 2019), Hodge (11th November 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Only people who are disappointed or have fails/poor experiences blog/post on the 'net.
    For example no-one looking on the net would ever buy a Patrol cause there are 1'000's of reports of the front wheels wobbling.
    In old mates case he was expecting similar performance to lead acid after the alarms and Lith doesn't work that way... it holds up and then falls off the cliff.
    Cordless power tools are a great example... on Lith batteries they run normally for almost all the battery capacity then give you a tad bit of warning they are about to die and moments later will be flat as a shit carters hat

Everything has advantages/disadvantages and can also be installed or used incorrectly or chosen for totally the wrong application.

Imagine your Cordless Drill being powered by lead acid tech instead of Lithium.
    It would weigh twice as much, the charge would last approx 1/4 the time per use and the Battery would be shot after about a month.

For deep cycle apps (eg power tools), voltage sensitive devices (eg Waeco Fridges), weight, space, discharge cycle life, high current use (jump packs the size of a good book can lie around for 12 months but will start a 6.5 litre engine), cost over lifetime or any combination of these then Lithium wins with daylight second.

Lead Acid wins for initial outlay, ease of management and suits occasional short discharge and maintenance charging applications (yes, I know you can get deep cycle but lead acid tech is not ideal and you get, what, 50% of the capacity as useable if your lucky).

At current prices I would probably buy a Lith Cranker only if I needed to save space or weight but for almost anything else then its Lith first and daylight second if installed and managed correctly
    At least if you had daylight second, you wouldn't have to run any lights at night.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    I think we're still paying for the new technology.
    Well, thats exactly where the price is. It's new, latest and greatest, so lets inflate the $ tag. It's like that with everything I suppose... Some people jump on it, others wait.

I like what I've seen and how it performs (the 120AH itech). I have a 110ah AGM sitting in the rear , and this lithium put it to shame in so many aspects. Not even worth comparing.
    With all my "current" (no pun intended) amp draws at the rear, it'll be lucky to suck 10A out of the battery. Thats the fridge, the lights and phone charged (USB) plugged in.
    This guy had a larger fridge, similar lights, and inverter and after 2 days, and one night the lithium is happily sitting in the 13s, while I was in low 12s off-load, and hitting mid 11s when fridge kicked in, begging for a charge.
    While not yet, its got to be accepted that it is the future.
    EvilTwin nailed it. It's the interweb. In nearly all, cases it's the negative that gets posted.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    While not yet, its got to be accepted that it is the future.
    Lithium (LiFePo4) is not the future, it's already here. The point though is that this Itechworld offering at the price is fairly close to 'too good to be true' . It is far cheaper than most, if not all, similar offerings with claims made which largely say what customers want to hear, but with little to no evidence to back up those claims.

Whilst there is little doubt that Lithium has significant advantages over lead based batteries, the hope they will become increasingly popular to the point that prices drop to a similar level to current lead based offerings (Wet/AGM/Gel) is probably unlikely to eventuate. LiiFePo4 batteries have been around for close to decade now. The reason I suspect they will never take over from Lead is that a) Lithium is a less available resource & b) the chances of a more sustainable & effective battery type being developed are high.

Not all the advantages of LiFePo4 batteries when compared to relative cost will necessarily be an advantage for the user. It's a horses for courses thing, & if they stack up sufficiently then you become a current Lithium purchaser & pay the cost.

If my 3 AGM batteries died tomorrow I would seriously consider replacing them with Lithium even though I don't need their high current delivery or their faster charging ability (given sufficient charging resources), but I would dearly like the weight savings. In my case that would represent a cost of perhaps 2.5 times the cost of replacing with more AGM's - a significant amount to pay to reduce battery weight by around 2/3rds. Hence 'consider' as opposed to 'would'. If I wanted to run high current appliances & had room to double the wattage I have in solar panels (which of course would weigh as much as that saved by going to Lithium) & had the room to carry those high current appliances (eg, a coffee machine, toaster, hairdryer & air con) then I would have already made the switch (finances allowing).

As it is, Lithium , in my mind makes far more sense in larger vehicles - motorhomes, caravans, expedition trucks, than it does in the average 4wd - except for the weight savings.

However you can rest assured that if/when I do change to Lithium it most certainly wont be one which utilises an unknown Battery Management system, spruiked by self professed experts with no credentials to back up such claims, & offering only a 3 year warranty. At the 'discounted' price of $849 (In all the time they have been selling those Itechworld batteries I havent heard of one single person paying the $1100+ price they claim it is discounted from!) I'd expect more.

Just to be clear I don't doubt that these Itechworld batteries work, & whilst working do display advantages over Lead batteries, but I have significant doubts as to how long they will continue to work for. Not a gamble with good odds in my view.

For anyone in SA & interested in pursuing Lithium you might find it interesting to duck into Mannum to have a yak with my old mate Terry about 'drop in replacement lithium technology'. http://www.t1lithium.com.au/ He's been involved with lithium batteries longer than most.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (12th November 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12