Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting Lithium Battery on sale

Saw this today from ITech, Lithium crank battery, 1300cca, 8kg, similar price as an Optima - interested to see how they handle the under bonnet heat, also keen to see how they rate against the deep cycle lithiums which are far more expensive from memory.

Lithium Battery.pdf

Special at Perth 4wd show

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Hodge (10th November 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been eyeing off their 120ah lithium for ages now. That thing is a beast weighing half of my current AGM battery.
    The thing charges up in a flash and stays at or above 13V forever. Equivalent to a 200ah agm, so they say. My work mate who I occasional go away with has one and the thing impressed me big time.
    But at $849 , its going to wait I reckon... Nothing wrong with my current AGM thanks to Yetis beast.
    In saying this I've no doubt their cranker variation will be of same quality/performance.

https://itechworld.com.au/collection...ithium-battery
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Up to 8% better fuel economy. Is this a "Snake Oil" claim, or what? Interesting to see what batteries vehicle manufacturers use, if that is the case.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I've been eyeing off their 120ah lithium for ages now. That thing is a beast weighing half of my current AGM battery.
    The thing charges up in a flash and stays at or above 13V forever. Equivalent to a 200ah agm, so they say. My work mate who I occasional go away with has one and the thing impressed me big time.
    But at $849 , its going to wait I reckon... Nothing wrong with my current AGM thanks to Yetis beast.
    In saying this I've no doubt their cranker variation will be of same quality/performance.

That battery is different to the one advertised. The one for $399 has a CCA of 1300, yet the deep cycle unit - I presume - speaks around the 250amp draw. Surprised at the cost difference, construction must be different as well. to get the high current release. No mention about ability to deep cycle so a crank only unit. Weight reduction caught my eye first.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Hodge (10th November 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Up to 8% better fuel economy. Is this a "Snake Oil" claim, or what? Interesting to see what batteries vehicle manufacturers use, if that is the case.
    I think anyone claiming a weight advantage will link it to a fuel consumption reduction. Its a common statement I think, so common I doubt anyone checks anyway. If i buy 13 of them I can start sell fuel out the back of the truck because it will be running out the tank - is that right - must be true?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (10th November 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This from their website:

Being Lithium, the voltage is held higher and longer than a lead acid battery. This means your vehicle will supply a stronger spark to burn fuel more efficiently, giving more power for the same fuel. Increasing fuel efficiency, giving better mileage and savings of up to 8%. Once the fuel is burnt more efficiently the exhaust emissions are decreased and this is better for the environment.

What a load of garbage, this alone would put me off buying anything from these guys!
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

10G (11th November 2019), mudnut (11th November 2019), Rossco (11th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    This from their website:

Being Lithium, the voltage is held higher and longer than a lead acid battery. This means your vehicle will supply a stronger spark to burn fuel more efficiently, giving more power for the same fuel. Increasing fuel efficiency, giving better mileage and savings of up to 8%. Once the fuel is burnt more efficiently the exhaust emissions are decreased and this is better for the environment.

What a load of garbage, this alone would put me off buying anything from these guys!
    You are right as the vehicle has a voltage regulator anyway. Energy is energy. If you take (example only) 1000 watts to crank the starter, it will take 1000 watts plus efficiency losses from the engine to recharge the battery. And it may be a weight saving that might add up to only $10-$20 a year.
    Last edited by mudnut; 11th November 2019 at 09:52 AM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right as the vehicle has a voltage regulator anyway. Energy is energy. If you take (example only) 1000 watts to crank the starter, it will take 1000 watts plus efficiency losses from the engine to recharge the battery. And it may be a weight saving that might add up to only $10-$20 a year.
    Come on guys, you cant be serious? The world is flat I read on the internet, world peace just around the corner, global warming will see the oceans rise 10m by Xmas - this must be real. Dont be so dismissive, its a great buy and will help to save the planet, especially when you factor in all the emission it took to develop and then manufacture the battery.
    I am so convinced i am going to take the photo of the battery and stick it to my dashboard, so I can get some of the aura effect without paying for it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (11th November 2019), Touses (11th November 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post

That's not a bad price for a 120AH lithium.

I still feel uneasy paying that much for a battery, simply based upon the warranty term. $850 for something with a 3 year warranty. You can by 100AH AGMs that have 2 year warranties for $300 or so bucks.

I reckon if the product (battery in this case) is so great why doesn't it have a longer warranty period? It's that old thing, if you have confidence in your product you'll warranty it for a longer period of time.

I think we're still paying for the new technology.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

Hodge (11th November 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast