Thread: Farina

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Farina

Located about 600 kilometres north of Adelaide, the tiny dusty town used to be a bustling railway hub.
    Railway made its way to Farina in 1882 and from then on, stock was transhipped to the southern areas of the country and supplies were delivered to outlying stations in the north.
    Originally called The Gums or Government Gums, Farina was settled in 1878 by optimistic farmers hoping that rain follows the plough. The town was the railhead for a time until 1884 before the railway was extended to Marree. During the wet years of the 1880s, plans were laid out for a town with 432 ¼-acre blocks. It was believed that it would be good for growing wheat and barley, however normal rainfall is nowhere near enough to grow these crops. Several silver and copper mines were dug in the surrounding area.
    Farina grew to reach a peak population of approximately 600 in the late 1800s. In its heyday, the town had two hotels (the Transcontinental and the Exchange) and an underground bakery, a bank, two breweries, a general store, an Anglican church, five blacksmiths, a school and a brothel. In 1909, 1,143 kilograms (2,520 lb) iron meteorite was discovered north-east of the town.
    Today nothing but stone ruins and the elevated railway water tank remain of the township. The post office closed in the 1960s and the railway line closed in the 1980s.
    The town is no longer inhabited, with the closest residents now living at Farina station, visible to the west of the town. A bush camping area is maintained by the owners of Farina station.
    In 2008 The Farina Restoration Group was formed, and annually since, the volunteers have spent up to 8 weeks in May/June continuing the restorative work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_nXpFEg-uw
    Last edited by Cradoka; 9th November 2019 at 10:09 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cradoka For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (9th November 2019), Plasnart (9th November 2019), Touses (11th November 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love wandering through the cemetery there. Talk about rest in peace. Edge of the world stuff.

I heard too that the bakery had been fired up again a few years ago? Think my parents stopped in for a pie or something.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cradoka (31st December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The underground bakery is superb , if it's open get a herb,cheese,garlic and bacon pull apart loaf .
    We called in again on the way home earlier in the year but bakery was closed and the campground had been graded so was a windy dust bowl .

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Cradoka (31st December 2019), Plasnart (9th November 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    I love wandering through the cemetery there. Talk about rest in peace. Edge of the world stuff.

I heard too that the bakery had been fired up again a few years ago? Think my parents stopped in for a pie or something.
    The bakery is open in May/June primarily to supply fresh goodies for the crew who bob up for the annual restoring work..

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cradoka For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (9th November 2019), Plasnart (9th November 2019)