Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waukaringa Gold Mine..

Waukaringa Gold Mine
    The Alma-Victoria gold mine was the largest single gold mine in South Australia, contributing in the 1870s to the second peak in South Australia's gold production after that produced by the Echunga mines in the 1850s. Worked from 1873 to 1894, it comprised extensive underground workings and a variety of surface structures, of which the chimney and flue are the most prominent remains.

The Waukaringa mines were also noted for the variety of developments and experiments which were undertaken on the site for the extraction of gold from the ore.
    The name was first used for a town proclaimed on 1 November 1888 and which was formally declared to have ceased to exist on 8 July 1982 The area was initially settled in 1873 with the discovery of*gold In 1890,
    Waukaringa was estimated to have had a population of 750.*The former town of Waukaringa is now a*ghost town*after being abandoned in the 1950s.*Ruins of only a few buildings remain, principally the former Waukaringa Hotel.
    The goldfields near Waukaringa produced approximately 1,427 kilograms (3,146*lb) of gold between 1873 and 1969.*The main mines in the goldfield were*Alma and Victoria,*Alma Extended,*West Waukaringa*and*Balaclava

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hucx7vu4dWI

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cradoka For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (26th October 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement