Thread: Removing Window winder handles.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing Window winder handles.

If I post this here it may help me to recall how to do it next time, & if that fails I can hopefully find my post here to remind me!

In my electronic manual I could only find reference to removing the door skin for electric window models, nothing about manual winder handle removal.

I've done it before, & even made & carry a little hook tool to assist, but do you think I could remember just how the tool was used! Oh no sirree! Not for quite a while anyway.

Pushing the door skin in whilst pulling the winder handle out will create a small gap .... 2 or 3mm. With a hook made from thin but stiff wire it is possible to push the hook down into the gap to then pull the sprung clip holding the winder handle onto the shaft upward, releasing the handle.

And whilst I'm here ...... the little orange plastic 'plugs' on the back of the door skin, which push into hole in the door to hold the door skin in place - has anyone come up with a fix for when the damn things pull out of the hardboard/masonite of the door skin, tearing it?
    Last edited by Cuppa; 15th October 2019 at 03:29 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And most importantly, don't forget to lose at least one of the clips. If you do that, you know you're doing it / done it the same way you normally do it, well the way I do it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th October 2019), Plasnart (15th October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    snip...
    And whilst I'm here ...... the little orange plastic 'plugs' on the back of the door skin, which push into hole in the door to hold the door skin in place - has anyone come up with a fix for when the damn things pull out of the hardboard/masonite of the door skin, tearing it?
    Yeah, can be a PIA mate esp if some water has got down there over time and softened the backing.

Use a trim removal tool and they won't usually pull out even if the backing is shitty.

Haven't done it on a Trol but in my younger days when Beer was more important than food or tools we used to pop out the clip and put a thin penny washer between the head of the clip and the trim.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australian door cards have a look at there ABS ones I fitted them on to my GU best things since sliced bread