Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Compressor puzzle.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Makes sense mate... the cutoff should be a min of 10% to about 20% below the blow off so anything between 120 and and 135 will suit admirably.
    140 isn't leaving much room and would def not go any higher
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th October 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    140psi cutoff is pretty high. Most are set at 120psi.

I mentioned "ports" earlier, this means the hole that you thread the switch to into. If it was screwed into one ofnthey holes in the compressor then swap to a different port of the compressor. There are a few ports on the ARB compressors .

You could unscrew the gauge and fit the pressure switch there to test too.

The PRV you mentioned will bleed then blow as you describe, kind of a reverse of a staun deflator when they are nearly finished bleeding to the set pressure.

Try the switch in a compressor port and see if there is any difference .
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am conscious You are on the road mate so trying to problem solve while mobile with what you have access too.

The cylinder on thr side of the ARB Compressor is actually a little tank. The Alan key nuts in the side and ends are spare ports. Any one will do mate.

Hope this helps in some way.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Those 2 allen keys are ports that you will be able to screw you switch into.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My compressor is a Boss PX07, doesn't have any ports in it for a switch. Switch goes into receiver tank.

Higher pressure is good for air gun use.

140psi cut off not currently easily available at present.Will use a 110 on, 135 off.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 13th October 2019 at 08:45 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok. The ports are out of the head. There will be more than 1. Where your hose is coming out is 1, look for a blanked off second one. In the pic below it has 3 I can see bit I expect there is probably 4. Others on google showed no port on 1 face but multiple options certainly.

You honestly won't tell the difference out of an air gun between 140 and 110psi mate. The only time you might feel the difference is running an air tool like a rattle gun anything else will just see the compressor start sooner but make little difference to operation.

Most workshop 240v compressors have a 80psi 120psi range. Don't loose sleep.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th October 2019 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darren. It does look like those are ports, but they are just part of the casting that are unused. Not drilled or threaded, only useable port is the one the hose comes out of. Unlike some compressors this one requires a one way valve in the hose between compressor & tank, so fitting a pressure switch into the cylinder head even if it were possible would probably not regulate the tank pressure very well, if at all.

I take your point about lower pressure cut off's.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crikey, slightly worried now thanks for the thread @Cuppa mate! My utes ARB twin has been factory bought I believe set from the get go @ 150psi shutoff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Issue resolved. Bought & fitted a pressure switch with a 135psi shut off. All good now.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (27th October 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12