Thread: Buying a lifted GU Patrol from a dealership, ride height question

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought, it has always has been 75mm, 50 suspension and 25 tyres.
    Snippet from link below. Link below has more scenarios. 50mm tyres without lift, etc...

Also, forget your placards, mod plates, engineering etc... It is widely known that if a 4x4 looks too high, tyres too big etc to a Vic cop, he will send you to the pits anyway. You can throw what ever mod plates you want at them. They like to exercise their "Right to question" powers. Especially during their nets a blitzes. And then you go through the process...

Also the revenue grabbers have now highly shifted their attention to weights more so than lifts etc... Nearly all blitzes now include portable scales. And with our faithful Patrols, we all know thats not very hard to exceed.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/-/me...319217ECDEDEB1

Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You found it. Thanks. I couldn't remember where this info was.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (1st October 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    You found it. Thanks. I couldn't remember where this info was.
    That's the vicroads one ....
    I remember you linking a much more broader pdf a while ago which was a national one.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I thought, it has always has been 75mm, 50 suspension and 25 tyres.
    Snippet from link below. Link below has more scenarios. 50mm tyres without lift, etc...

Also, forget your placards, mod plates, engineering etc... It is widely known that if a 4x4 looks too high, tyres too big etc to a Vic cop, he will send you to the pits anyway. You can throw what ever mod plates you want at them. They like to exercise their "Right to question" powers. Especially during their nets a blitzes. And then you go through the process...

Also the revenue grabbers have now highly shifted their attention to weights more so than lifts etc... Nearly all blitzes now include portable scales. And with our faithful Patrols, we all know thats not very hard to exceed.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/-/me...319217ECDEDEB1

Yep and SA's rules are different. Must not exceed 50mm overall. Hense check with your local authorities.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all this tells us anything though it's that if you have anything over 2in lift overall you may have issues with being defected as you tour around Australia (if you ever intended too). As Hodge suggests, even if it's technically legal in your state/mod plated it might just make your life difficult.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (1st October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Regardless of whether you are in a 50mm 'overall' or 75mm 'combination' State only suspension lifts up to 50mm are legal under ADR/VSS (combo States allow max of 50mm suspension plus another 25 in body or tyre not 75 in suspension only) so 75mm/3 inch lift as per the OP is non compliant unless plated or has sagged to under 50mm static lift.

Not all states fully adopt VSS (which they are apparently allowed to do as long as their standards are tighter), the ongoing poo fight in Qld being an example and it can take many months even years for the individual States to adopt changes, WA being one of the slowest.

Does anyone know if there is an 'overall' ride height of a Patrol and have factory spec on where it is calculated from?
    I believe there is a spec for the distance from the centre of the axles to the guard sometimes quoted (Tyre size + Axle to Guard = overall lift) but some threads have run to many pages on the subject.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (1st October 2019), MB (4th October 2019), mudski (1st October 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

Does anyone know if there is an 'overall' ride height of a Patrol and have factory spec on where it is calculated from?
    I believe there is a spec for the distance from the centre of the axles to the guard sometimes quoted (Tyre size + Axle to Guard = overall lift) but some threads have run to many pages on the subject.
    Superior engineering use this as a guide...
    https://www.superiorengineering.com....arm%20size.pdf

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (1st October 2019), hovazz (2nd October 2019), MB (4th October 2019), the evil twin (1st October 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats excellent Mark, I will have a look at where mine is sitting as a guide for sure.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    The million dollar question. Anecdotally I found out today that SA use "original factory ride height" and they measure from the ground to the top of the roof. I can't find and haven't been advised of any "official" document that has these ride heights recorded. I've used the specifications section of carsales in the past and it's normally pretty accurate. Has the height of a 2007 GU patrol at 1855mm.

Edit:I suppose Nissan could tell you the official original factory height?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MB (4th October 2019), the evil twin (1st October 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a roll of the dice I guess. Everything on the car has checked out OK, and no issues were raised regarding the tyre and ride height combination (despite me requesting consideration to the legal spec). Dealership is obviously keen to sell anything regardless of the law, but I feel better having it inspected by a neutral third party.

What is the cost of an engineering certification for this kind of thing, if there is an issue down the track?

Anyone have any anecdotes about the frequency of 4wds being stickered due to ride height? Seems fairly uncommon.

Thanks for all your input everyone.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast