Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 Injector Pump issue

Hi Guys,

I've had some issues of late with my Nissan Patrol ZD30 Di Y61 Gu4 2005.

I will begin at the start.

I was having some MIL warning lights for a few days, it went away...then one day after i was cleaning my MAF sensor...coincidentally my car wouldn't turn on.

I had the car towed to a local mechanic, they checked and located a engine control fuse kept blowing. They got an auto sparky to have a quick look and he diagnosed it back to the Injector Pump...they took the ECM (i think that is what is called) off to see if they could fix anything, changed fuel filter and a few other things. The Injector is knackered they said. I sourced a second hand pump from Patrolaparts and had the mechanic fit it.

Now i have a totally different problem....the car takes 10+ flicks of the key and use of the accelerator to get the old girl cranking...this takes about 20 seconds and once the car starts...there is a massive cloud of white smoke (diesel), after 10 seconds the car runs perfect. We sent the injectors of for inspection and all 4 of them are in perfect condition. The fuel primer goes hard after only a few pumps and diesel flows out of the outlet line that goes to the injector pump.

The mechanic reckons the pump we put in might be a dud....something just doesn't seem right.

I am having them check the pressure between the filter and the injector pump but thought i would ask if anyone else has had this problem or knows of any additional checks that we should be doing before the pump is taken out and sent away for testing by patrolapart so that i can get my cash back to invest in a new pump.

Needless to say i am will to have the mechanic try anything to save me the labour of removing and installing another pump, i also don't want to have this happen and the pump from patrolapart gets tested by the patrolapart and comes back good...because they wont give my money back after that.

currently looking at $2.5k but if i need more labour and a new pump i will be up at $5k

ANY IDEAS?

Thank you in advance.

Shaun

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun313 View Post

Now i have a totally different problem....the car takes 10+ flicks of the key and use of the accelerator to get the old girl cranking...this takes about 20 seconds and once the car starts...there is a massive cloud of white smoke (diesel), after 10 seconds the car runs perfect.
    Is this like the first start for the day only. Or does it do it on every start? When its cranking, does is sound like its trying to start? My wifes Mazda 6 had a similar thing where the injectors were leaking into the cylinders overnight and it would take around 30 seconds of cranking and then a heap of smoke once it started. So the engine was being flooded with fuel.

Also check to see if the glow plugs are actually working too. If the motor is stone cold it will be a bugger to start and will blow a heap of smoke too. Run a multi meter on the glow plug bus bar and see if theres any voltage at the glow stage of ignition.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mudski,

Quote Originally Posted by Mudski

Is this like the first start for the day only. Or does it do it on every start? When its cranking, does is sound like its trying to start? My wifes Mazda 6 had a similar thing where the injectors were leaking into the cylinders overnight and it would take around 30 seconds of cranking and then a heap of smoke once it started. So the engine was being flooded with fuel.
    This is every start, we get the car running and it runs well, we ran it for 20 minutes, get it properly heated up and then turn it off. It then has the exact same issue and takes 10+ flicks of the key and glow plug and then start with the accelerator being pushed heaps to get it going which starts the car turning over before it eventually catches...same white cloud of smoke".

Quote Originally Posted by Mudski

Also check to see if the glow plugs are actually working too. If the motor is stone cold it will be a bugger to start and will blow a heap of smoke too. Run a multi meter on the glow plug bus bar and see if theres any voltage at the glow stage of ignition.
    Glow plugs have voltage and seem to be fine according to the mechanic". The mechanic also put clear lines on either end of the fuel filter to make sure there is no air in the system and the fuel goes fine to the injector pump. Shaun
    Last edited by Shaun313; 20th September 2019 at 04:55 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interested to see how this ended up?
    Looking at possibly fitting a second hand pump myself for the same IP ECU issue.