Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    That amibient sensor is for the Ti models which have an outside temp display and climate control.

Cuppa, try just disconnecting the loom to the fuel filter and leave it off for a while. If the issue goes you know where to look...
    I didn't know there was a Ti variant in td42 range...

Straight off Patrolapart:
    Suit GU*Patrols with TD42ti (factory turbo intercooled engines ONLY)

This is the ambient air temperator sensor that is connected to the engine ECU.

This is very important that is is in good working order, as it adjusts the timing of the injector pump to suit the ambient temperature.
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checked the wire & connectors under the fuel pump first. All seemed ok, or at least the engine light didn't come on when I was jiggling them.

Next looked for & found (I think) the tacho sensor wire. Whether this was the cause or not - it needed attention. It's connector - higher up on the top left front of the motor - had broken off it's steel mounting plate, the able had also come out of a cable holder bolted to the motor & was obviously able to flop around quite a lot. The corrugated plastic conduit around the cable had obviously made contact with the fan blade & was torn. Amazingly though the cable itself appeared undamaged. Connector re-mounted with cable ties & measures taken to ensure the cable can't get close to the fan blades again, or onto the belts below it. I held the fan blades whilst MrsTea started the motor (I knew I could, but still scary) & then jiggled the cable, sensor rubber cover & connector (with a length of stick - not putting my hands down there whilst belts are moving in close proximity!). Still no engine light coming on.

Couldn't find the ambient temp sensor, but didn't look too hard as the ambient temp was in the 'bloody hot' category out in the full sun.

Will now wait until we drive on corrugations again to see if the engine light coming on as been sorted.

BTW I thought the denomination for the factory intercooled TD42's was TD42i ..... Not TD42Ti I'll look for the ambient air temp sensor if the engine light is still coming on .......& when we have a shadier spot to park up.

Supplementary question 1: What light illuminates on the dash if the fuel filter gets enough water in it?

Supplementary question 2: I have had issues with a few of Nissan's plastic cable connectors either breaking or being seized closed over the past couple of years, they are buggers especially when difficult to reach & often appear unneccesarily complex. At 13 years old they seem to be getting toward the end of their life. Can they be bought & if so are there model numbers for them? Or what are the best aftermarket connectors to replace them with, given that many are supposed to be waterproof. A couple I couldn't get apart I just cut off & replaced with spade terminals + tape, but it might be good to carry a few waterproof multi pin connectors as well?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it had its own little fuel filter light on the TD42s.. but doing a spot of light reading it could be the engine light. Wish I had mine here to test it!

You should be able to take it apart and lift the float up with the key in the ON position and whatever light it is will come on. Alternatively i understand you can just bridge the connection as the float is just a switch so to speak. I guess if you know you have a good tank of fuel onboard you could just run it unplugged over a few hundred rough km and see if it stops the issue.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I didn't know there was a Ti variant in td42 range...

Straight off Patrolapart:
    Suit GU*Patrols with TD42ti (factory turbo intercooled engines ONLY)

This is the ambient air temperator sensor that is connected to the engine ECU.

This is very important that is is in good working order, as it adjusts the timing of the injector pump to suit the ambient temperature.
    Yeah strange. This is straight from the Genuine Nissan parts program. Check out the year range. The TD's stopped before this date. Somethings amiss I reckon. I think its supposed to say ZD30...Unless this applies to the overseas models.
    Untitledq.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post

BTW I thought the denomination for the factory intercooled TD42's was TD42i ..... Not TD42Ti
    N/A = TD42, Factory Turbo = TD42T, and Factory Turbo and Intercooled = TD42Ti (Turbo intercooled)
    Last edited by mudski; 12th September 2019 at 09:50 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (13th September 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12