Thread: Engine light on dash

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine light on dash

Can anyone tell me what the potential causes for the engine light to illuminate on the dash are please?

Ours has been coming on & off for a while, but only when on the more severe corrugations. It started after I had changed the main fuel filter. I've checked the wiring connection which seems ok, but am wondering if somehow it could be the float mechanism at the bottom of the filter jumping around........ or something completely different. I recall it happened for a while when we were back home, but can't recall what resolved it, I think it may have just stopped by itself.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine comes on constantly. drives me nuts. Mine is linked ot the Tacho Sensor which also drops out on mine causing the Aircon to also stop. I need to replace my Tacho Sensor which is about $500 damn it.

As i understand it it is also linked to the sensor on Number 1 injector to the fuel pump. Mine no longer has this sensor so became redundant but yours dies. I expect it is a loose wire to be honest in that environment if all else is fine. Spray the injector 1 with electrical contact cleaner and jiggle the wires around a little and se it that helps at all. Trace that wire from Number 1 and unplug t and clean the plugs.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (11th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or take the globe out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

Bidja (11th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with Darren mine was doing similar things and it turned out to be the tach sensor in the front of the motor. If that goes it puts the whole egr system into a limp mode of sorts. I don't think it will illuminate even if there is an error with no1 injector though, I've had my no1 unplugged before with no light.

I think the sensor in the fuel filter illuminates a seperate light doesn't it?
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (11th September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    As with Darren mine was doing similar things and it turned out to be the tach sensor in the front of the motor. If that goes it puts the whole egr system into a limp mode of sorts. I don't think it will illuminate even if there is an error with no1 injector though, I've had my no1 unplugged before with no light.

I think the sensor in the fuel filter illuminates a seperate light doesn't it?
    Yeah i was hoping it would stop when i put the 12mm pump in and no longer run the #1 Injector link. It cuts out the Aircon and Tacho which sux. Did you replace yours? I am struggling wth the $500 replacement cost but might have to bite the bullet.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in the front of the motor is this tacho sensor? Is it worth checking out if I have had no problem with tacho readings, including when engine light is going on & off?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a connector on the bottom of the injector pump on the td42ti engine. It will throw the engine light if there is a problem or its disconnected. Being towards the bottom of the engine they can sometimes have a dodgy connection. Also in the rough it could be the wires going to it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (11th September 2019), Cuppa (11th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah i was hoping it would stop when i put the 12mm pump in and no longer run the #1 Injector link. It cuts out the Aircon and Tacho which sux. Did you replace yours? I am struggling wth the $500 replacement cost but might have to bite the bullet.
    Yep I did mine when I was still running the TI pump. Didn't pay $500 though. I reckon you want the 3 wire https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292405095715. That looks like a patrolapart item $300ish. Think they were a touch cheaper when I got one.

Cuppa, it's on the front of the engine towards the top middle. You should be able to see the cable for it, 3 wire jobbie i think. Sorry I don't have mine to reference.. It's getting some love after a knob-end ran into the back of it. I think when mine started to fail the tacho was still working. Also check that connector that nissannewby is talking about. That's about the only other sensor that would set that light off I think.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (11th September 2019), MudRunnerTD (11th September 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not 100% on this ....
    I've read two or three times that a possible culprit could be the ambient sensor.
    Apparently when this fails connection with the pump, or gets damaged , it can throw a ecu light.

This is meant to be behind the grille somewhere ,but I never found it on my car.

https://patrolapart.com.au/product/g...ir-temp-sensor
    2005 TD42TI

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (11th September 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,296 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Not 100% on this ....
    I've read two or three times that a possible culprit could be the ambient sensor.
    Apparently when this fails connection with the pump, or gets damaged , it can throw a ecu light.

This is meant to be behind the grille somewhere ,but I never found it on my car.

https://patrolapart.com.au/product/g...ir-temp-sensor
    That amibient sensor is for the Ti models which have an outside temp display and climate control.

Cuppa, try just disconnecting the loom to the fuel filter and leave it off for a while. If the issue goes you know where to look...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast