The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Madness. What a lot of stuffing around. Waste of time and money mate.

You need 50mm plus the floating floor or including the floating floor?

Graded Battens straight on top of the tiles. No brainer mate. The sound will be pretty solid as the Battens are straight on the slab rather than spanning.

If your really concerned just 20mm yellow tongue floor over 20mm Battens. Then floating floor. If you want to deaden it more out double thick yellow tongue.

Leave the tiles there mate. Pointless pulling the up. Straight over the top. Go.
    I don't think you have read this right Daz. Or I haven't explained myself right. I want to lay a floating timber floor from this entrance and into the rumpus area. As it stands, the tiled area is about 25mm higher than the adjoining rumpus room, which is just concrete. I removed two tiles to inspect whats underneath. Well the tile is really thick, at around 25mm. Then theres another 25mm from under this to the concrete base. So when I remove the tiles the existing base is actually lower than the floor in the rumpus.

So I cant go over the top of the tiles.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th September 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok here’s a pic of the actual difference when I remove the tile. See how much lower it is.
    IMG_1357.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Ok here’s a pic of the actual difference when I remove the tile. See how much lower it is.
    IMG_1357.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How high is that? I can't really tell on my phone.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like half a brick so your 50mm. So Yellow Tongue is 19mm board. Down on 30mm Battens will get you your 50mm. 100% batten it out mate.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 7th September 2019 at 09:08 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Looks like half a brick so your 50mm. So Yellow Tongue is 19mm board. Down on 30mm Battens will get you your 50mm. 100% batten it out mate.
    The issue with battens is the sound and feel difference under your feet from one room with battens to the next room with a solid base. I helped a mate years ago do similar, while he was happy with the outcome, you could hear and feel the difference, as it was hollow under the foot.
    But. Its worth thinking over. I will see how much it will be for half a cube of conc to do it and think about it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The issue with battens is the sound and feel difference under your feet from one room with battens to the next room with a solid base. I helped a mate years ago do similar, while he was happy with the outcome, you could hear and feel the difference, as it was hollow under the foot.
    But. Its worth thinking over. I will see how much it will be for half a cube of conc to do it and think about it.
    Battens down on concrete will feel very similar to floating floor straight on conc. I walk on it all the time in customers houses. If your really concerned then 12mm lining boards as Battens then 2 x yellow tongue on top of each other is another 38mm of solid chipboard. Floating floor over that and it will feel and sound like conc.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 7th September 2019 at 10:24 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (7th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I stamp my feet in houses every day to check for floor construction when determining if I'm walking on a slab l/ sub floor or Battens. You can tell if a floor has big Battens or small ones and you have to stamp hard to hear it. I really would by or be concerned here at all mate.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudski (9th September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I prefer to fix T&G 19mm flooring to timber battens or joist spaced at 450mm centers. Another method for laying timber flooring over your existing tiles is to use ply sheeting. The sheeting is laid over the tiles to create a good surface for the timber flooring to be laid on. Thickness to suit desired finished floor level. The floorboards are then glued and nailed to the ply. Use a polyurethane sealant / adhesive like Sikaflex 11FC or what I have used is Bostic Seal N Flex1. Great for fixing plasterboard to masonry as well.

https://www.bostik.com/australia/Bos...ethane-Sealant
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    I prefer to fix T&G 19mm flooring to timber battens or joist spaced at 450mm centers. Another method for laying timber flooring over your existing tiles is to use ply sheeting. The sheeting is laid over the tiles to create a good surface for the timber flooring to be laid on. Thickness to suit desired finished floor level. The floorboards are then glued and nailed to the ply. Use a polyurethane sealant / adhesive like Sikaflex 11FC or what I have used is Bostic Seal N Flex1. Great for fixing plasterboard to masonry as well.

https://www.bostik.com/australia/Bos...ethane-Sealant
    Yeah ply or Yellow Tongue chipboard works great. 450 centred Battens will be great straight on the concrete will feel and sound solid too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @mudski to bring your low slab up and level to obtain common datum throughout maybe ARDEX K 900 BF could help mate (Ideal for levelling up to 90mm thick). Need expansion joint and recon use a polyurethane flexible adhesive between timbers/ply etc.

https://ardexaustralia.com/product/ardex-k-900-bf/

http://cdn.ardexaustralia.com/pdf/pr...0Datasheet.pdf
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast