Thread: Headlights

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Headlights

I need to replace my headlights. At the same time I want to upgrade the wiring. What have people used? I probably would like to go with a plug and play system as know my electrical skills are limited.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a thread on here from just recent times, lists a range of options for globes and loom upgrades. You might look at a Piranha loom upgrade, its a piggy back format and plug and play. From there IPF, Philips, and Osram do globe upgrades for halogen. I tried some LED globes in my H4 inserts and they worked fine, but have since go the next step to ADR approved LED 7" headlights.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

jay see (7th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the piranha one, a Patrol a part one and a eBay one. In the same order $225, 285 and 125.

This is from the piranha website.

Ever wondered why your 4WD headlights aren't as bright as they could be? Piranha Off Road Products has done something about it and it's called SUPER LOOM.*

This clever product completely eliminates the voltage drop that causes dull yellow beams.

SUPER LOOM uses high grade 6mm wire, purpose built relays with separate 30 amp plug-in fuses for high and low beam, and comes equipped ready to go with plug-in terminal blocks, making installation a breeze.

Most Japanese 4WD vehicles use 2.5mm wire into the standard headlights thus typically only providing 9.5 to 10.5 volts at the bulb. Obviously 12 volt lights cannot perform to their best with this type of voltage loss.

Features

Fully soldered contactsTop grade 6mm wire used on all loomsAvailable in two and four headlight loomsEconomy and self-fit modelsWater proof fuse holders and plug-in terminal blocks

LISL is designed for Single High/Low headlights ie: To Suit*Hilux, To Suit GQ Patrol, etc. For vehicles with negative switching on the factory headlight loom, you may require a Circuit Completer (LICC or LICC70)

Patrol a part.

HeadLight Upgraded Wiring Loom

*Suit*GQ & GU Patrols (may also suit other vehicles)

This headlight upgrade*loom is*made using top quality parts that are designed to last in the Australian conditions.

It is designed to delivery maximum power to your headlights*to get the most output out of them and to get rid of those dull yellow beams.

It has been professionally assembed to ensure that all the of the electrical connections are joined together properly.

Most Japanese vehicles, such as Patrols are fitted with wiring looms are are not adequate for the headlights on the vehicle. This results in less voltage getting supplied to the globe.

Comes with fitting instructions that are easy to follow.

Beware of buying cheap wiring kits with poor quality wiring and connections that could burn out or let you down

This wiring kit includes

6mm2*Automotive CablingFully soldered contactsWater proof fuse holders and plug in terminal blocks.

Or the eBay one.

Not sure if the link works.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272274542443

This Headlight Booster harness is just the thing you need, if your headlights are dull and yellow, or if they are flickering (older cars have a circuit breaker in the switch, when overloaded, it shuts off then turns back on when cool). That is an indication that you are not getting the full 12v plus that your battery can give, as by the time the power travels through your old undersized wiring, through old switches and relays (if you're*lucky enough to have them at all!) then back through your engine bay to your lights.

Super simple to fit, basicly, 1 wire to the positive + terminal of the battery, unplug both of your headlights, and plug one of the cars plugs into the loom. Then the loom plugs into your headlights.

This kit is for cars with 2 headlights (high/low beam H4 or sealed beam). See our other items for cars with 4 headlights.

In a nutshell, what happens now is your cars existing wiring is just a switch, all the power is now travelling directly from the battery to the headlights.

If you have a Fairlane, GS, GT, LTD, Landau, Premier, Statesman, Chevy Impala, Datsun 1600, Celica, *or other quad headlight car, you can use this loom to add brightness to the main headlights and relieve*some of the load off your switch or we have a 4 light*loom for you too.

Your existing headlights will now be much brighter than before, if you weren't getting full power.

With a pair of 80 amp relays and it's own 30 amp fuse, you can now also safely fit higher wattage bulbs, without risk of shorting out, blowing switches or starting electrical fires.

Who has used what.

12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simples, according to some blue husqvarna riders?
    ‘ADR’ approved, YES!
    ‘Vehicle original’ NO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

jay see (7th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mark. I'm all for running legal these days. Have had too many stickers slapped on the windscreen.

I don't think that a wiring upgrade will be an issue. Lights however yes, that's why I'm sticking to OMG parts.

12/97 GEE YOU

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Simples, according to some blue husqvarna riders?
    ‘ADR’ approved, YES!
    ‘Vehicle original’ NO!

You have confused me again! So if its ADR approved, and not original fitment - are you sayings OK or not OK?

I have the Piranha units, however run my LEDS at 28V - ADR approved lights, nothing in VSB's about the voltage though. I doubt they would pick up on it anyway.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From sitting in the passenger seat I believe his words heard were no go? Will need to confirm today with the driver who was being shown extracts on the dudes ipad trackside.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, some more interesting conflicting information into the mix! I checked with Vicroads direct and they say if its ADR approved, its fine. I will get mine signed off by the VASS Engineer as part of engineering so that will then be impossible to challenge by Mr Plod.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely sounds like a plan mate!
    Just spoke with the driver and I could be wrong in the headlight situation specifically.
    Certainly was getting the book thrown at him for having a turbo fitted to a non turbo GQ TD42 without engineering.
    Seats were being written up too as non genuine also.
    Luckily as the HID’s were being stared at next a large group of hoons rolled down behind us and we were kindly sent on our way!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (8th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lights all done and have a few comparison shots in this order.

Headlights
    + high beam
    + light bar only
    + spotlights only
    + light bar and spotlights.

Will get a mutlimeter on to see what the headlights are pulling.

12/97 GEE YOU

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

MB (4th October 2019), mudnut (5th October 2019)