Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel system

Hi all,
    I’m from Zimbabwe, I drive a Nissan patrol 2007 TD42 pick up. I’m having a problem with my sub tank not pumping into my main tank any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    It pumped for about 15min then the sub tank light came on and the fuel gauge dropped to empty.
    The pump is working, I wired it direct to the battery and it pumped fine. Is there a sensor that may be gone or is it the fuel float/sender unit that’s gone?
    I was driving on a very corrugated road when this happened!
    Many thanks in advance for any advise you can give me regards to this.
    Cheers for now

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It will be the faulty Sender Unit causing the issue.
    The Sub Tank Computer monitors the Sub Tank Sender, Main Tank Sender, Pump, Wiring and Switch
    If that Fault Lamp is illuminated the Pump is electrically isolated by the Computer

First, disconnect the Battery for 10 minutes to reset the Sub Tank Computer.
    If the Sub Tank Fault Lamp stays out (it will go out for a short period and do a self test) then that is great.
    If the Lamp comes back on after the self test then you will need to replace the faulty component.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 4th September 2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (23rd September 2019), MB (4th September 2019), mudski (4th September 2019), rusty_nail (4th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had this issue with the sub tank light staying on three days ago. I disconnected the main battery for 10 minutes and the sub tank light stayed off when I started the car the next time.
    Thanks for the tip Evil Twin.

As a side question, does the sub tank ever engage automatically, like when the fuel warning light has been on for the main tank for any period? Or is it just triggered manually with the push button switch on the dash?

I filled my sub tank in November 2018 and it has been dropping slowly. The needle is sitting at half full now after 10 months.
    I run my main tank to empty before refueling each time and I've filled the main tank exactly 10 times since filling the sub tank.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    I just had this issue with the sub tank light staying on three days ago. I disconnected the main battery for 10 minutes and the sub tank light stayed off when I started the car the next time.
    Thanks for the tip Evil Twin.

As a side question, does the sub tank ever engage automatically, like when the fuel warning light has been on for the main tank for any period? Or is it just triggered manually with the push button switch on the dash?

I filled my sub tank in November 2018 and it has been dropping slowly. The needle is sitting at half full now after 10 months.
    I run my main tank to empty before refueling each time and I've filled the main tank exactly 10 times since filling the sub tank.
    My understanding is there is a bit of fuel pumped from sub every time vehicle is started and is automatically transfered when fuel light comes on.

Just out of interest , why are you not using the sub fuel that much ? Don't drive enough or always only fill the main ?
    2005 TD42TI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (23rd September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wot Hodge said ^^^^

Every time you start the vehicle the sub tank does a self test of the pump IF there is fuel in the sub AND the main is below 3/4's full.
    Each time it does the test it will pump up to 1/4 litre of fuel which soon adds up.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (23rd September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good to know that the sub tank pumps a little each time you start the car under certain circumstances.
    @Hodge I filled the sub tank when we went camping last year and haven't been using the sub tank because I don't drive much or long distances, but mainly because I've been logging my full ups to monitor fuel consumption and want to keep consistency of milage from the main tank.
    Since removing the full length roof rack the fuel consumption went from 14.66l/100km on the previous tank (with an average of 15.067l/100km over 10 tanks) to 13.68l/100km.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have spoken too soon on the sub tank light fix. After a short drive today it's come back on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not having much time to investigate this since September I drove around with the sub tank warning light on and the sub tank half full and not operational.
    I had been reading about locating and testing the sub tank control module behind the climate control dials, but hadn't got around to testing it.

However in the meantime I read a reply in a thread on Patrol 4x4 by Frosty1970 that said "Before anyone does anything, Firstly, run a new earth from the body to the chassis. This will solve 75% of subtank problems!!"
    In another post by Chaz he included this detailed image of where to run the earth strap.

Last week I got around to running a cable the same as in the picture above.

I disconnected the battery to reset the sub tank and after almost half a dozen individual small trips the sub tank light hasn't come on again!
    It all seems to be working again as it should.

As a side note, from just initial tests, the remote to unlock the doors has gone from working no more than 2 metres away (and sometimes not for a few presses right next to the vehicle) to working pretty reliably from about 14 metres away.

I have to admit this is a fantastic double result from this very simple mod.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (24th December 2019), MB (24th December 2019), rusty_nail (24th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    Not having much time to investigate this since September I drove around with the sub tank warning light on and the sub tank half full and not operational.
    I had been reading about locating and testing the sub tank control module behind the climate control dials, but hadn't got around to testing it.

However in the meantime I read a reply in a thread on Patrol 4x4 by Frosty1970 that said "Before anyone does anything, Firstly, run a new earth from the body to the chassis. This will solve 75% of subtank problems!!"
    In another post by Chaz he included this detailed image of where to run the earth strap.

Last week I got around to running a cable the same as in the picture above.

I disconnected the battery to reset the sub tank and after almost half a dozen individual small trips the sub tank light hasn't come on again!
    It all seems to be working again as it should.

As a side note, from just initial tests, the remote to unlock the doors has gone from working no more than 2 metres away (and sometimes not for a few presses right next to the vehicle) to working pretty reliably from about 14 metres away.

I have to admit this is a fantastic double result from this very simple mod.
    I do recall a member named rocket something or another having similar success an posting about it mate. Great result!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (24th December 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    I do recall a member named rocket something or another having similar success an posting about it mate. Great result!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Yeh I read a few threads and was hoping that this simple fix would resolve my sub tank issues. The remote working better is a real bonus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast