We had just climbed the Wickham Track jump up in the Gregory National Park with Tvan in tow, & pulled up at the top to breathe a sigh of relief & to bathe in a tiny moment of self glorification at the achievement. The moment was short lived after my eagle eyes noticed a drop of fresh oil on the dirt just behind where we'd pulled up. Underbody examination showed a single drip at the bottom of the 'plate' between the rear of the gearbox & the transfer case. Just above this point is a small D shaped cutout at the bottom of the plate & it appeared that thjis is where the drip had come from, all the bolts in the plate were tight.

Having driven out of the park to Timber Creek & then across to Katherine, I checked the oil levels in both gearbox & transfer case & found both to be OK. My assumption is that either the rear gearbox seal or a front transfer case seal has begun to leak, albeit very mildly. As we were headed into more remote country (Limmen NP & Gulf country) I decided the best course of action was to buy a couple of litres of Penrite's 'Pro synthetic 75W 85 oil to use as top up if needed & to monitor the leak. Sensible I think, but nevertheless a tad stressful - the mind plays tricks & I tend to catastrophise. As it is some 700 or so kms later, here in Borroloola I again checked the oil levels this morning & found them to still be OK. Finger in the fill hole found oil virtually at the level of the hole. Outside of the case isn't 'wet', but is very mildly 'misted' to the rear of where I saw the drip. Have not seen any more drips, but leaks can only get worse, not better....right?

As I understand it, if I get the seal(s) replaced it's a fair amount of work to remove the transfer case, but the seals can be replaced without opening the transfer case or the gearbox. I also assume it would be wise to get all the transfer case seals (input & output shafts) as well as the gearbox replaced at the same time whilst the case is out?

Am wondering if I am worrying unnecessarily though. I don't like having a leak, but wonder if it could remain as is for 1000's of kms before *needing* to be done? What symptoms would I notice if either box were to get low, before any dam,age was done? I'm guessing gearchanges could become more difficult but am less sure of what to notice from low oil in the transfer case.

If need be I'll get the work done in Cairns, before we go up the Cape, but wonder if it might be reasonable to continue monitoring it as I am & wait until we are eventually back in Victoria where labour rates are less & we are less at risk of picking a crap mechanic (the travellers nifghtmare).

What say you?

We will continue to be in & out of service areas so if I don't acknowledge your reply, thanks in advance.