Thread: Weeping joint between Gearbox & Transfer case

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weeping joint between Gearbox & Transfer case

We had just climbed the Wickham Track jump up in the Gregory National Park with Tvan in tow, & pulled up at the top to breathe a sigh of relief & to bathe in a tiny moment of self glorification at the achievement. The moment was short lived after my eagle eyes noticed a drop of fresh oil on the dirt just behind where we'd pulled up. Underbody examination showed a single drip at the bottom of the 'plate' between the rear of the gearbox & the transfer case. Just above this point is a small D shaped cutout at the bottom of the plate & it appeared that thjis is where the drip had come from, all the bolts in the plate were tight.

Having driven out of the park to Timber Creek & then across to Katherine, I checked the oil levels in both gearbox & transfer case & found both to be OK. My assumption is that either the rear gearbox seal or a front transfer case seal has begun to leak, albeit very mildly. As we were headed into more remote country (Limmen NP & Gulf country) I decided the best course of action was to buy a couple of litres of Penrite's 'Pro synthetic 75W 85 oil to use as top up if needed & to monitor the leak. Sensible I think, but nevertheless a tad stressful - the mind plays tricks & I tend to catastrophise. As it is some 700 or so kms later, here in Borroloola I again checked the oil levels this morning & found them to still be OK. Finger in the fill hole found oil virtually at the level of the hole. Outside of the case isn't 'wet', but is very mildly 'misted' to the rear of where I saw the drip. Have not seen any more drips, but leaks can only get worse, not better....right?

As I understand it, if I get the seal(s) replaced it's a fair amount of work to remove the transfer case, but the seals can be replaced without opening the transfer case or the gearbox. I also assume it would be wise to get all the transfer case seals (input & output shafts) as well as the gearbox replaced at the same time whilst the case is out?

Am wondering if I am worrying unnecessarily though. I don't like having a leak, but wonder if it could remain as is for 1000's of kms before *needing* to be done? What symptoms would I notice if either box were to get low, before any dam,age was done? I'm guessing gearchanges could become more difficult but am less sure of what to notice from low oil in the transfer case.

If need be I'll get the work done in Cairns, before we go up the Cape, but wonder if it might be reasonable to continue monitoring it as I am & wait until we are eventually back in Victoria where labour rates are less & we are less at risk of picking a crap mechanic (the travellers nifghtmare).

What say you?

We will continue to be in & out of service areas so if I don't acknowledge your reply, thanks in advance.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me i wouldn't worry at all. Definatly keep a close eye on it and would think would be fine till a next service is due then get it looked at then. Keeping some oil in the car is a wise move tho. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (30th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I wouldn't worry about it. Get it done when you get somewhere and it's cheap and convenient.

In my old landcruiser ute (400something thousand k's at this point) pretty well every seal on the gearbox t/case gave up at the start of a big trip (some 9,000kms to fraser and back from darwin). They weren't the occasional drip like yours either.. they were cover the rear diff in oil type leaks haha. Anyway, no way was I missing the trip so I just kept going keeping an eye on the oil level with no drama.

Point being, it's not ideal but I'd suggest you'll get many k's out of the old girl without it being an issue. I'd be surprised if you even need to top it up.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (30th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's similar to my leak in this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-transfer-case
    I've never bothered doing anything with it, has got no worse than when I first noticed it and not using oil. I wouldn't worry about it.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    If it's similar to my leak in this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-transfer-case
    I've never bothered doing anything with it, has got no worse than when I first noticed it and not using oil. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Its exactly like that Steve - where is this transfer breather hose you mention? (Too dark to go look at the moment).

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Its exactly like that Steve - where is this transfer breather hose you mention? (Too dark to go look at the moment).

I'm a bit on the hungover side today, but pretty sure it was just in front of the trans. If you follow your breather lines down from the passenger side inner guard, it should be pretty easy to find it. Just a rubber hose connected to a steel section.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello guys! I got the same problem in my 2009 CRD.
    Did you discover what is the reason of the leak?
    Do you believe it is a normal or requires some Repair?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are still out bush so just continue to keep an eye on oil level in gearbox & transfer case & carry oil to top up if needed. Have driven around 1500km since first noticing the ‘leak’ with a mix of hi/Lo 4WD & 2wd, & no top up has been needed.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it's a similar case to the small "weeping" leak I have on my patrol. But mine is between the transfer and the shaft.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ear-tail-shaft

Been years and never had to top up, so the leak isnt substantial. I never done anything about it.
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    We are still out bush so just continue to keep an eye on oil level in gearbox & transfer case & carry oil to top up if needed. Have driven around 1500km since first noticing the ‘leak’ with a mix of hi/Lo 4WD & 2wd, & no top up has been needed.
    Thanx Cuppa.
    According to my experience the oil leak appears after long expeditions (4-5000km) with very loaded vehicle and 4wd hi/lo hard driving.
    Because when I'm at home after 6 months of 2wd daily drive I did not detect any oil leak...

I suspect that when transmission oil becomes very hot and fluid, somehow would spill trough the oil seal between the transmission box and the transfer box... and it comes out from that cavity right there...
    I would love to ask to the Nissan engineers if the purpose of that cavity is to let some excess oil to spill out or not...

By the way, I'll keep an eye on it and keep you guys updated...

Thank you in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast