Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iPad Mapping setup

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And those "geniuses" will want to charge me 20 trillion dollars! Had a friend took their iPhone there to get a replacement screen and charged them something like $200... I supplied and fitted my own for under $10.
    It's an old 3GS so it's time for an upgrade soon... upgrade to Android, that is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's a thing called Mudmaps advertised on the back of a recent shooting mag - I think more for the Iphone.

As I am an Apple free person, I didn't follow it up, but I did recommend it to someone looking for a gift for her partner.

I'll pass this info on as well, thanks Nissan Kid!
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have vms on both the phone and ipad, they both work a treat with street and offroad mapping and loading 3rd party gpx files for track logs etc
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand the VMS App is mudmaps but costs more because you get all the maps included.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup it has the whole lot included and will actually work out cheaper because MupMAP app now has paid subscription and have to purchase maps where as VMS does not.

Last edited by oncedisturbed; 22nd April 2012 at 11:33 AM.
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to oncedisturbed For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd October 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, great pics and the vms on the iPad looks great. Do u know much about the hema app in comparison?
    Cheers.
    03 Patrol Series 111 GU 3.0 Turbo Diesel,3" Ironman lift,Ironman shocks,33" Wild trac A/Ts,Rock sliders, Lightforce 240 spotties,Rhino Pioneer Rack,40tl Engel fridge,GME uhf aerial, Safari snorkel and upgraded recovery points.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Found this on Ebay ,sellers name is K2motors, in the states.
    looks better than others I've seen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superoo View Post
    Hi, great pics and the vms on the iPad looks great. Do u know much about the hema app in comparison?
    Cheers.
    As yet, the HEMA app is not yet fully IOS6 ready as it is very jumpy.

I have the app ad not very user friendly, memory map is very similar but allows 3rd party maps to be loaded

Tap, Tap Taparoo

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I'd bump this thread up.

I recently lashed out and bought the Mud Maps HD app for the iPad & iPhone 4. I needed a GPS unit as my old tom tom is dead. I was considering the VMS in-car GPS units or a TV stereo with windows and running Ozi Explorer. At the end of the day, Mud Maps on the iPad was the best solution for me. It's portable, easy to use and is constantly updated by a dedicated team.

The app is $149.00 on the itunes app store. This is for the HD version which allows you to use it on the iPad and iPhone and also comes bundled with quite a few maps. In all honesty, the bundled maps are not going to be for everyone. I doubt I will ever use 99% of them and they are all mostly outback maps or they are 1:250k maps which I wouldn't really use at this stage.

However, the map store has many maps on it that I will use. Especially the 1:25k Victorian maps. They range from about $4 to $10 each or I think you can buy the whole lot (around 850 maps) for about $150. Great value there. When I get spare $150, I'll probably buy them honestly. Maybe in the new year, though.

I went for a day trip on the weekend to Lake Eildon here in Victoria. Took the missus and Mud Maps. Downloaded a 1:25k map of Eildon and hit some tracks. Using the GPS alone of the iPad was absolutely fine. I don't have mobile internet on my iPad so it was purely GPS. It worked a treat. It says inside the app that it was accurate to within about 10-30m which was good. The dot shows up on the map which represents you and you can literally follow it along the track your on and get a gauge of where you are in comparison. This is pretty simple stuff, I know, but I'm telling you all about it anyway since there might be some people here not really well versed in GPS stuff. I'm certainly still learning the in's and out's.

To anyone trying to decide whether or not to buy the app, don't think about it any longer. If you have the money to spare and you want a versatile, portable GPS device then the Mud Maps app is the way to go.

The ONLY gripe I have with it, which is petty, is that there doesn't seem to be a turn by turn feature for the road maps. I understand that it's a 4x4 map application but it would have be really nice to have turn by turn navigation for the road maps. This can always be solved by buying another "street" navigation app.. but it's just more money. An all-in-one app would have been awesome.

I'll try and take some screen shots for everyone tonight and post them up.

Happy to answer any questions.

Also, a big thanks to 'OnceDisturbed' for giving me some advice and tips via emails. He was very helpful and honest. He knows a lot about MudMaps and I'm sure he'd be happy to give advice to anyone with any related queries.

Cheers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (7th November 2012)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ipad came with street nav app from new granted its not an offline one though

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast