Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Digging this thread up again..

I think I'll buy an iPad 3 this week and I'm going to look at using it for 4WD GPS (and ordinary gps). Might check out the HEMA maps as from what I've seen on you tube, they are great.
    The only thing that I haven't figured out yet is how to mount it. There's a bunch of mounts out now of different types so I guess I'll just have to buy the iPad then try and figure out the best place to mount it where I can easily take it out of the car for normal use.

Anyone else using an iPad for 4WD'ing lately?
    just be careful when buying an ipad mate, they are what you could call a TRUE GPS system, as they use a thing called AGPS.. this means that it uses network signal to kinda determine where you are and lets the GPS do the rest. this is a pain because if there is no signal/reception you wont be able to use the GPS feature. even if the maps are preloaded into your ipad it still wont work. i love some of the apple products, but to be honest the GPS system sucks, its designed for people in cities wanting to get to the next suburb, not people wanting to cross the simpson desert if you get what i mean?
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

GreenGQ (23rd March 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    just be careful when buying an ipad mate, they are what you could call a TRUE GPS system, as they use a thing called AGPS..?
    Assisted GPS Wiki

"A-GPS is a system which can, under certain conditions, improve the startup performance, or time-to-first-fix (TTFF) of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. It is used extensively with GPS-capable cellular phones as its development was accelerated by the U.S. FCC's 911 mandate making the location of a cell phone available to emergency call dispatchers."

As I understand it, the iPad/iPhone doesn't need to be in range of phone towers to use the GPS feature as long as you get the 3g/4g version. It will work without the towers. GPS uses radio waves to satellites for location, but in the city these radio waves can get broken up with all the buildings and what-not going on. A-GPS uses phone towers in these situations to help keep the signal alive and act as a back up so that you don't lose connection.

Been doing my research and have read many posts of people using the iPad without any problems. HEMA wouldn't supply Australia wide maps for the iPad if it wasn't going to work, I wouldn't think.

Regardless, the 4WD'ing I do at the moment, the iPad will be golden. I couldn't say whether it would work right in the middle of Australia but then again, people who are doing those trips probably wouldn't be buying iPads, heh.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (20th February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely keeping my eye on this thread too. Very interested in other peoples iPad experience for gps related goodness

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    Definitely keeping my eye on this thread too. Very interested in other peoples iPad experience for gps related goodness
    X2 ... just have to extract the finger and do something with it - seems others are having good experiences now and the software has 'caught up' somewhat.

Great to hear!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been playing around with the VMS app on my iPad2, so far I love it! It takes a little bit of getting used to but its worth it.
    My iPad was a gift from the girlfriend, she bought me the non-3G one which meant no built-in GPS as they are part of the same chip. I think this is what rusty_nail was referring to???
    It uses wi-fi locations as its GPS which isn't all that handy. So if you're going to buy one, buy the 3G one. From what I've read you don't need to have a sim card installed to get it to work.
    However, if you have a non-3G one you can buy a bluetooth GPS receiver. I have this one and it works fine with all mapping/location apps I have tried:
    http://xgps150.dualav.com/
    I have just received a telescopic mount and will be giving it a whirl on the weekend, I'll post some pics on this thread.
    Last edited by BearGUST; 21st March 2012 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Bear,

looking forward to seeing how you go.

ive got a 3g iPad 2 - but your experience should give me an indication anyway.

cheers.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at some sort of offroad GPS. I've got a TomTom for on road so maybe a tablet is the way to go.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Kristoffa, you can just buy & download the TomTom app for iPad if you still want street GPS. Or, if you're not always in the mood to buy things, Jailbreak the iPad and download it for free... but I digress. :P

Going to buy a couple iPad3's on the weekend. Buying one for the missus too because I won't be able to share it, lol. Can't afford it at all, but meh.

I'm also hunting around for a mounting solution. At this stage, it'll be a good quality window suction cup job, but I have my concerns as I've never had great success with suction cup mounts. However, they've all been cheap so maybe the expensive ones, like the RAM mounts, are good.

The alternative that I'm thinking about is mounting a bracket to the dashboard. You can buy aluminium brackets that the iPad slides into. Major downsides for me include, drilling holes in dash, not easily removable. Up side being I'd feel better knowing it was a solid mount.

Still though, iPad seems like the way to go for me. Much more functionality than a GPS. Apart from GPS, being able to hold music, photos, movies, games, email, calender etc etc is gold!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't jailbreak my iPhone because the top button doesn't work!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh LOL! That sucks man.. geez.

Take it to one of those "Apple Genius" bars. They could prolly fix it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast