Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turbo selection

Hi all!!

I’m am looking for suggestions for a turbo upgrade for my 1994 GQ td42t silvertop.... it was sold to me having a “UFI TD05 on it”. It’s not, it’s a cheap DTS turbo. I’m wondering what sort of turbos I should be looking at?? And or any real recommendations. Trying to get to around 200hp. Or should I just stick with the common garret etc etc named brands. If so, what sizes or exact turbo models should I be looking at?? I currently have an 11mm pump on order also.

Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've managed 207hp out of a dts 16G lol.

Really depends on your budget. You could spend 3k on a Borg Warner or less than a grand on a bok choi spooly boi of ebay. Also whether you have the pump capabilities too
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an actual ufi td05 18g on mine haha.

Seems pretty zippy to me with a bigger fuel pump. I don't know how it compares to others but the best thing about it is that it's a direct bolt on replacement.. as long as you already have a 3in dump pipe. I reckon it took me less than an hour to take the old one off and put the new one on.

Whistles nice and boost for days
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Im far from an expert, so can only speak from experience. I run a Garret GT3071R. Most say they are a bit big for a TD42. I agree. I have recently spoken with a chap who is a Garret Distributor, and has been since cocky was an egg. He asked me. Is your Patrol a daily? Do you tow much? Do you do a lot of highway driving? My answers were no, quite often and yes. He made some valid points to me which made me notice a few things I have never thought of before. Mostly about the type of driving I do. The turbo I have is suited well. It has more mid range to top end power than say a Garret 2860 or similar Borg Warner does, but less down low where its needed, an absolute pig to drive around town. Virtually zero boost happens until around 2000 rpm, then bang, off it goes. Kinda like riding a 2 stroke motor bike, nothing, then everything. Great for highway driving and especially towing. Oodles of power with the camper in tow at 110k's. Pulls like a freight train, my biggest issue now is I have to be careful when towing as I have burnt the gearbox oil on two occassions due to, well, flogging it on the hills.

If I was to get a new turbo again, I reckon I would go smaller just to feel the difference. Theres amazing reviews on the Borg Warner. Same for pretty much every turbo on the market. All depends on your driving needs...

Just my 2 cents.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Bidja (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't get to 200 HP without changing the pump. I ran a $1000 Mamba 16G TD05H copy with a 200 HP pump and it performed really well especially getting off the mark with the auto trans.
    I mistakenly thought I had an issue with it so I bought a $2200 P4x4 18G which has the genuine MHI TD05H CHRA. Put it back on the same dyno with same operator and it made the same max power as the Mamba.
    Only difference was the smaller Mamba was on boost earlier.
    If you really think you'll be happy to stay at 150 rwkw then the 16G is a better choice than the 18G but you'll need a pump change to get there..

The Borg Warner is an excellent choice if you have money you don't need for other things.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 642 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bloke, welcome to the forum.

I'm running the garett 2863 roller bearing on my td42. Moderate boost, gated at 14 psi with 11mm pump head.
    Squeezing 167 hp out of it. Carries and tows like a dream. Boost comes on nicely and putting the boot in to overtake is pleasantly surprising.
    Not snap your head off stuff, nicely controlled acceleration. Does the job without the showy whistle that has PC plods' ears pricking.

With a bigger pump head and a higher psi 200hp is ultimately doable. Getting up there in price at 2300 a few years back but worth the looking at.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !