User Tag List

Thread: Turbo !! 2004 TDi.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turbo !! 2004 TDi.

Has anyone replaced or had there turbo re built ?
    Have just noticed mine sounds like the blades are hitting the sides. (original standard turbo).
    Have owned vehicle since new with only 182K on the clock.
    Not sure why this has happened or the cause of it. Will be looking into that.
    Have heard of a place in Wagga (Denco turbos)
    Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
    Cheers Tonks.
    2004 GU111 4.2 TURBO WAGON, 2" OME SUSPENSION, 33" MTZ's, 3" BEAUDESERT EXHAUST, ARB ROOF RACK, ARB AWNING, BLACK WIDOW DRAW SYSTEM & CARGO BARRIER, DUAL BATTERIES, 12,000lb WINCH, GME UHF, LIGHT FORCE XGT SPOTTIES, BERRIMA DIESEL TUNE.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Bidja put a different turbo on his CRD. It wouldn't be a real difficult job to do. Just time consuming. Buy all new studs too, for both manifold and dump pipe sides, with nuts. And gaskets of course.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Tonks (30th August 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    @Bidja put a different turbo on his CRD. It wouldn't be a real difficult job to do. Just time consuming. Buy all new studs too, for both manifold and dump pipe sides, with nuts. And gaskets of course.
    It's a TD mate.

There is plenty written on this forum about options. The HT18 is junk and not worth any coin at all. Junk it.

Search Borg Warner in the search bar and you will find my turbo upgrade thread. I had the same question and then documented the entire build. Soo bloody happy. If you had never tuned your TD your in for a shock. They are Puss out of the factory. In stages the upgrades stand alone and all paid dividends. Loving it mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudski (27th August 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    It's a TD mate.

There is plenty written on this forum about options. The HT18nis junk and not worth any coin at all. Junk it.

Search Both Warner in the search bar and you will find my turbo upgrade thread. I had the same question and them documented the entire build. Soo bloody happy. If you had never tuned your TD your in for a shock. They are Puss out of the factory. In stages the upgrades stand alone and all paid dividends. Loving it mate.
    Haha! Yeah sorry. I hadn't cleaned the morning Cornflakes out of my eyes when I read that. Lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (27th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is not an exhaust manifold or failed gasket either side of turbo?

Different engine/turbo but my CRD produced a metallic squeal noise (like a fan blade against a metal cowl), at low revs/low boost(eng hot or cold). Took air induction pipe off turbo inlet and was certain it was coming from within turbo itself.
    Sounded like the compressor wheel was scrapping side of housing, there was a bit of side slap of turbine shaft bearings and I could stop the squeal by reducing boost level at idle.
    Replaced turbo and noise still there "bgrr mee", pulled down again and ended up being exhaust manifold gasket due to warped manifold. There was no exhaust gas wash evident at all.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (27th August 2019), Tonks (30th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    It is not an exhaust manifold or failed gasket either side of turbo?

Different engine/turbo but my CRD produced a metallic squeal noise (like a fan blade against a metal cowl), at low revs/low boost(eng hot or cold). Took air induction pipe off turbo inlet and was certain it was coming from within turbo itself.
    Sounded like the compressor wheel was scrapping side of housing, there was a bit of side slap of turbine shaft bearings and I could stop the squeal by reducing boost level at idle.
    Replaced turbo and noise still there "bgrr mee", pulled down again and ended up being exhaust manifold gasket due to warped manifold. There was no exhaust gas wash evident at all.
    Yes i agree, a Boost Leak close to the Turbo will make a Hideous Noise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Tonks (30th August 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Tonks could possible be a boost leak close to the turbo as @MudRunnerTD stated.

The main point of my post was for you to check and make sure that the exhaust manifold is not leaking at the head interface and also check at turbo outlet flange that mates up to the exhaust manifold. Also check turbo to dump pipe flange gasket.

Take the induction pipe of inlet side of turbo and place your finger on the shaft/spindle end at compressor wheel and try and move it sideways and axially, you should be able to guess how much play there is(there will be some). They can handle some play, look for a dulling of the turbo housing bore adjacent to the compressor wheel. The shaft does centralise (run true) as it spins up.

I stopped the noise by reducing boost at idle and automatically thought the turbo was defective but ended up being a warped exhaust manifold.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

Tonks (30th August 2019)