Thread: Clutch Replacement to cope with extra Berries 08 GU CRD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Clutch Replacement to cope with extra Berries 08 GU CRD

Has happened(160,000 kms stock clutch)_slipping. Yesterday doing some solid tune climb runs (hauling) with new FM and clutch started excessive slipping mode. Loud pedal 500N-m climbing, high boost 25psi and all of a sudden boost dropped away revs rose from 2500 - 3000 (so quick) and kph stayed same. Drove home limiting slip on hills.
    My CRD produces approx 175hp/520N-m(rear wheels).

Looking at HD clutch kit replacement and go with a solid mass flywheel. Spent last 6 hrs reading up about the place. Yeah lots of suppliers noted, looking so far at eg:
    Exedy Direct, NPC Viper, Extreme, 4Terrain and Patrolapart kit(Safari Tuff clutch kit). Some use common Exedy clutches.

Give me some advice: What about going with Patrolapart kit (Safari Tuff clutch kit assy)$1145_ consisting: Exedy Safari Pressure Plate, Exedy Safari Tuff clutch and includes a solid / single mass flywheel?

https://patrolapart.com.au/product/n...RIRc5ZoxPrEfQc
    Last edited by Bidja; 24th August 2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Corrected actual eng output.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just thinking that the clutch you nominated from patrolapart to suit 520Nm might be a bit underrated for you bidja as your pushing so close to that already , so maybe it won't last that long . on a side note , in the past some people have mentioned that they are not happy with the extra vibration they get thru the car with a solid flywheel and i wonder if any one makes a heavy duty dual mass flywheel replacement clutch . anyone ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

Bidja (24th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @nipagu7 Have amended first post as it was confusing, the 520N-m is my eng output at rear wheels. My engines actuals are is 175hp/520N-m(rear wheels).

Yet to confirm rating of the Safari Tuff clutch kit rating but would assume at least 1000N-m. EXEDY claim that Safari Tuff Clutch Kit comprises a purpose engineered cover assembly which boasts a minimum 25% increase in clamp load in comparison to standard.

The SMF may cause slight vibration in drive train but form research it does not appear to cause much problem.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking at the Safari Tuff Clutch HD. Its rated at 950nm at the flywheel - confirmed this yesterday from the Exedy rep. Brunswick now only use that clutch instead of the Clutch industries units. Seems there are some advantages with the friction plate material that does do build up on the flywheel. The clapmp pressure is high as well, cant remember the number, possibly 1250kg? I am paying $750 for the clutch and pressure plate, retail is circa $1100 ish+, be careful though as the 'Sports ' version has the same part number, but lower performance and price.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Phil,
    Exedy Direct sell direct on line, have attached link Exedy Safari Tuff Clutch HD: includes SM flywhl, $1275 for complete conversion kit. Patrolapart do same ($1140) but may use alternate solid mass flywhl (supply new flywhl bolts) and also do the lighter Exedy Sports Tuff clutch conversion kit $1100. Will do the Safari Tuff Clutch HD as well.

https://exedydirect.com.au/exedy-saf...%20REPLACEMENT

What GU do you have and what flywhl you propose to use? Clutch changed 08/04 (05-15).
    Last edited by Bidja; 24th August 2019 at 07:15 PM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a GQ with the 6.5 Chev and S/c setup. Still working on getting it back on the road. The existing clutch is Nissan clutch on a chev flywheel. The existing one is probably going to start spinning the first time i stick the boot in, so have this one coming as a reserve!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Bidja (24th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Took mine for a run tonight (15km), took it easy out the dirt road to the hwy, drove cautiously and experienced no slippage on test hill and bell housing temp was just touch warm. When slipping last night, it had been working hard and bell housing was very hot to palm of hand(100 km run though). Clutch operation remains good but not over confident, considering a trip down south for install.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not something as simple as a film of oil on the clutch, was it? It may have burned off and left the clutch face clean. It may be useful to check out the condition of the clutch before spending dollars.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Slip feel certainly could be described as if oil film was on friction surface but had a slight clutch lining smell when arrived home. First noticed slip driving up long 1.5km solid climb loud pedal, changing down and also reoccurred several time on lesser climbs heading home. I regularly drive in hilly country and this is first occurrence of slip noticed to this extent.

Have been doing timed runs 4&5th loud pedal 60-110km+ and have not observe any slippage. For inspection of clutch, box would need to be pretty well removed $$$s, have removed smaller G/boxes on my own but not attempting this one. Local mechanic quoted clutch change over $5-600 labour and I supply bits.

Will give it another run.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our Van clutch was slipping, and smelled a bit. A mechanic noticed a bit of oil at the bottom of the bell housing. He advised me to deliberately slip the clutch to heat up the oil and burn it off. It worked and the clutch lasted until we sold the car a year or so later.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast