OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The effect of a catch can on oil leaks

  1. #1
    Advanced Trav_1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Albany,WA
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The effect of a catch can on oil leaks

    Just wondering what everyone's experience is with regard to oil leaks post fitment of a catch can?

    In a previous post I asked how easy it is to DIY a replacement rocker cover gasket and injector sleeves on a ZD30DDTi due to some oil leaks. Just wondering what effect fitting a catch can will have in reducing the probability of said leaks occurring again.

    I would have thought by having the intake vac pressure reintroduced to the crankcase via the can that oil leaks would be less likely to happen.

    Anyone had experience with this conundrum?

    Currently the PCV pipe is just vented to the ground on the vehicle and it's making a mess everywhere.

    The intention when I bought the vehicle was always to fit a can but space is and issue that I think I have rectified.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

     

  3. #2
    Expert 0-TJ-0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked 252 Times in 162 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil leaks are due to old/worn gaskets. Never heard of anyone installing a catch can to fix an external oil leak.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

  4. #3
    Advanced Trav_1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Albany,WA
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav_1980 View Post
    Just wondering what everyone's experience is with regard to oil leaks post fitment of a catch can?

    In a previous post I asked how easy it is to DIY a replacement rocker cover gasket and injector sleeves on a ZD30DDTi due to some oil leaks. Just wondering what effect fitting a catch can will have in reducing the probability of said leaks occurring again.

    I would have thought by having the intake vac pressure reintroduced to the crankcase via the can that oil leaks would be less likely to happen.

    Anyone had experience with this conundrum?

    Currently the PCV pipe is just vented to the ground on the vehicle and it's making a mess everywhere.

    The intention when I bought the vehicle was always to fit a can but space is and issue that I think I have rectified.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Yeah nah that's not the objective really, I'm replacing the rocker cover gasket and injector sleeves anyways. Was just wondering if anyone had notice a reduction in leaks post can fitment?

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    I am he, fear me the evil twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    W.A. (wandering aust)
    Posts
    6,222
    Thanks
    869
    Thanked 6,293 Times in 3,153 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PCV shouldn't be vented to atmosphere, that defeats the whole purpose.

    The whole concept of PCV is that the gas blow by from the cylinders into the crankcase is 'positive' vented back thru the induction to be burnt and not dumped direct to atmosphere.

    There should be a PCV valve in the vent line from the rocker back to the induction point and the Catch Can has the job of capturing the oil condensate so it doesn't reach the induction and foul the engine intake.
    When you fit the Catch Can you still need the downstream flow after the Can to go to induction not atmosphere
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

    MB (25th August 2019)

  7. #5
    Advanced Trav_1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Albany,WA
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    PCV shouldn't be vented to atmosphere, that defeats the whole purpose.

    The whole concept of PCV is that the gas blow by from the cylinders into the crankcase is 'positive' vented back thru the induction to be burnt and not dumped direct to atmosphere.

    There should be a PCV valve in the vent line from the rocker back to the induction point and the Catch Can has the job of capturing the oil condensate so it doesn't reach the induction and foul the engine intake.
    When you fit the Catch Can you still need the downstream flow after the Can to go to induction not atmosphere
    Yep I'm aware of all that, my D40 has a Provent fitted and it works great, that's why I'm fitting one to this vehicle I have purchased which doesn't have one and needs one. The previous owner had just vented the PCV pipe to the atmosphere and hadn't fitted the can due to lack of space but now I'm onto it and itll be plumbed as it should be back into the intake.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trav_1980 For This Useful Post:

    the evil twin (24th August 2019)

  9. #6
    In Moderation
    mudski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eltham North
    Posts
    13,509
    Thanks
    5,978
    Thanked 7,674 Times in 4,747 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    PCV shouldn't be vented to atmosphere, that defeats the whole purpose.

    The whole concept of PCV is that the gas blow by from the cylinders into the crankcase is 'positive' vented back thru the induction to be burnt and not dumped direct to atmosphere.

    There should be a PCV valve in the vent line from the rocker back to the induction point and the Catch Can has the job of capturing the oil condensate so it doesn't reach the induction and foul the engine intake.
    When you fit the Catch Can you still need the downstream flow after the Can to go to induction not atmosphere
    Not to mention its illegal to vent into the atmosphere and if caught, hefty fines apply.

  10. #7
    Advanced Trav_1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Albany,WA
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Not to mention its illegal to vent into the atmosphere and if caught, hefty fines apply.
    That's it, and it makes a mess everywhere!

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  11. #8
    ......... MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Yarra Valley
    Posts
    5,356
    Thanks
    12,136
    Thanked 5,515 Times in 2,644 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbon footprints :-)
    Plenty an old farmers vent into their chassis rails for 50+ years atmospheric corrosion protection.
    Who needs a new steel, rubber, plastic expensive tractor?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

    mudski (26th August 2019)

  13. #9
    Advanced thebrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The catch can will have zero effect on your oil leaks from the rocker cover or injector seals.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to thebrod For This Useful Post:

    Trav_1980 (30th August 2019)

  15. #10
    Beginner RickGQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Sydney (West)
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently fitted a Provent to my TD42, not to stop oil leaks, but partly to catch oil before it got back to the inlet manifold and partly to monitor the amount of blow-by that was occurring.
    Very impressed with the Provent. There's no more oil in the inlet manifold and hardly any oil dampness in the Provent.
    When fitting the Provent I replaced the standard hose with 16mm hose, maybe that's helped improve flow and reduce crankcase pressure.
    15647955116740.jpg
    1991 GQ Wagon
    TD42
    Safari Turbo
    And a few add-ons.
    ...28 Patrol years and counting...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •