User Tag List

Thread: The effect of a catch can on oil leaks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The effect of a catch can on oil leaks

Just wondering what everyone's experience is with regard to oil leaks post fitment of a catch can?

In a previous post I asked how easy it is to DIY a replacement rocker cover gasket and injector sleeves on a ZD30DDTi due to some oil leaks. Just wondering what effect fitting a catch can will have in reducing the probability of said leaks occurring again.

I would have thought by having the intake vac pressure reintroduced to the crankcase via the can that oil leaks would be less likely to happen.

Anyone had experience with this conundrum?

Currently the PCV pipe is just vented to the ground on the vehicle and it's making a mess everywhere.

The intention when I bought the vehicle was always to fit a can but space is and issue that I think I have rectified.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil leaks are due to old/worn gaskets. Never heard of anyone installing a catch can to fix an external oil leak.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav_1980 View Post
    Just wondering what everyone's experience is with regard to oil leaks post fitment of a catch can?

In a previous post I asked how easy it is to DIY a replacement rocker cover gasket and injector sleeves on a ZD30DDTi due to some oil leaks. Just wondering what effect fitting a catch can will have in reducing the probability of said leaks occurring again.

I would have thought by having the intake vac pressure reintroduced to the crankcase via the can that oil leaks would be less likely to happen.

Anyone had experience with this conundrum?

Currently the PCV pipe is just vented to the ground on the vehicle and it's making a mess everywhere.

The intention when I bought the vehicle was always to fit a can but space is and issue that I think I have rectified.

Yeah nah that's not the objective really, I'm replacing the rocker cover gasket and injector sleeves anyways. Was just wondering if anyone had notice a reduction in leaks post can fitment?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PCV shouldn't be vented to atmosphere, that defeats the whole purpose.

The whole concept of PCV is that the gas blow by from the cylinders into the crankcase is 'positive' vented back thru the induction to be burnt and not dumped direct to atmosphere.

There should be a PCV valve in the vent line from the rocker back to the induction point and the Catch Can has the job of capturing the oil condensate so it doesn't reach the induction and foul the engine intake.
    When you fit the Catch Can you still need the downstream flow after the Can to go to induction not atmosphere
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (25th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

The whole concept of PCV is that the gas blow by from the cylinders into the crankcase is 'positive' vented back thru the induction to be burnt and not dumped direct to atmosphere.

There should be a PCV valve in the vent line from the rocker back to the induction point and the Catch Can has the job of capturing the oil condensate so it doesn't reach the induction and foul the engine intake.
    When you fit the Catch Can you still need the downstream flow after the Can to go to induction not atmosphere
    Yep I'm aware of all that, my D40 has a Provent fitted and it works great, that's why I'm fitting one to this vehicle I have purchased which doesn't have one and needs one. The previous owner had just vented the PCV pipe to the atmosphere and hadn't fitted the can due to lack of space but now I'm onto it and itll be plumbed as it should be back into the intake.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trav_1980 For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (24th August 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

Not to mention its illegal to vent into the atmosphere and if caught, hefty fines apply.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Not to mention its illegal to vent into the atmosphere and if caught, hefty fines apply.
    That's it, and it makes a mess everywhere!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,215 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbon footprints :-)
    Plenty an old farmers vent into their chassis rails for 50+ years atmospheric corrosion protection.
    Who needs a new steel, rubber, plastic expensive tractor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mudski (26th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The catch can will have zero effect on your oil leaks from the rocker cover or injector seals.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thebrod For This Useful Post:

Trav_1980 (30th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently fitted a Provent to my TD42, not to stop oil leaks, but partly to catch oil before it got back to the inlet manifold and partly to monitor the amount of blow-by that was occurring.
    Very impressed with the Provent. There's no more oil in the inlet manifold and hardly any oil dampness in the Provent.
    When fitting the Provent I replaced the standard hose with 16mm hose, maybe that's helped improve flow and reduce crankcase pressure.
    15647955116740.jpg
    1991 GQ Wagon
    TD42
    Safari Turbo
    And a few add-ons.
    ...28 Patrol years and counting...