User Tag List

Thread: 2.8 boost gauge install - quick question

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.8 boost gauge install - quick question

Hi. Installing a mechanical boost gauge in the 2.8 TD. Just checking that the spot to pick up the boost is at the turbo wast gate pipe that comes out of the intercooler butterfly housing. This is a pipe/tube that runs to the turbo and is the only candidate that I can see. Kit comes with one of those tee piece things but terrible instructions. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, mine is t'd off the vacuum line that goes to the back of the intercooler and seems to work just fine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PHT33 For This Useful Post:

gbab01 (16th April 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks PHT33. Took the plunge today and yes, it works no problem. Obvious when you think about it! Cheers.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Guys got any photos of this, looking to put one in and not sure where to start.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xntric, I will try and post a photo or two for you shortly. Hopefully I can work out how to do it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the photos have attached. If not I will try again. Basically, follow the black rubber hose that comes out the rear of your intercooler attached to a pipe with a right angle beng towards the passenger side. This hose runs towards the front of your motor and then down and attaches to the turbo. Cut that tube and using the tee piece attach the tube that comes with the gauge. I had to purchase a longer piece of tube and also a larger size as the supplied tee piece was too small to secure into the black hose for an air tight fit. from memory you need a 6mm tee piece (the black hose is 6mm internal or at least mine is). I then used a reducer at the rear of the gauge to attach a small bit of the original size hose to get back to an air tight fit. You may be lucky depending on the brand of gauge as to having to go to this trouble or not. I also need to get some small hose clamps to ensure the fittings are secure but they seem fine with the barbed tee piece for the moment.

I just took of the black hose and sliced off a tiny bit and took it in to Motormate who then measured it and supplied me with all I needed. Use hot water to assist in getting the hoses on and off.

I ran the hose and wires into the cabin using an access point which is down near the accelerator pedal (may need to remove right trim kick panel). I have run the tube up and along the gap between the windscreen and the dash (need to remove panel at right pillar with handle). I have a pod sitting on the dash but this was always meant to be temporary as I knew my wife would hate it and I intend to get a integrated pod/pillar replacement soon. I also don't want to dril holes in my dash etc. All the tube etc. will run up into the integrated pillar pod and not be visible.

Pyro will be next.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

DSCN5566.JPG
    DSCN5567.JPG

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that's fantastic I think I can pull that off without to much damage....

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that and I’m not getting any boost reading