Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TJM winch

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do wonder also if possibly a very fine say skateboarders ‘grip tape’ and or wet & dry fine sand paper affixed to a drum may assist? Only in wacky theory and you’d still loose a few good feet as PeeBee mate above although we really shouldn’t be pushing those limits too far anyway. Winch extension straps I believe should be our first go to unless in absolute dire straits needed!
    Maybe the fine grit on the drum over time could cause too much new age winch rope abrasion on the first spool layer wrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    @mudnut, Craig, I found this today, looks interesting and appears to work by locking the rope on itself, then still using the drum screw, however the drum screw does not take any load. I have ordered 3 and will fit them to my winches and see how they go.

www.okoffroad.com/stuff-winchrope-retainer.htm
    These are what comp guys are using nowadays. Pretty cool and so basic!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    @mudnut, Craig, I found this today, looks interesting and appears to work by locking the rope on itself, then still using the drum screw, however the drum screw does not take any load. I have ordered 3 and will fit them to my winches and see how they go.

www.okoffroad.com/stuff-winchrope-retainer.htm
    We use a very similar concept on a larger scale when spooling on re-conductoring ropes, firstly started with a large clove hitch around the drums.
    Trailer will get off the ground way before the rope even considers detaching.
    2005 TD42TI

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2019), mudnut (8th October 2019), PeeBee (8th October 2019), Rossco (8th October 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Do wonder also if possibly a very fine say skateboarders ‘grip tape’ and or wet & dry fine sand paper affixed to a drum may assist? Only in wacky theory and you’d still loose a few good feet as PeeBee mate above although we really shouldn’t be pushing those limits too far anyway. Winch extension straps I believe should be our first go to unless in absolute dire straits needed!
    Maybe the fine grit on the drum over time could cause too much new age winch rope abrasion on the first spool layer wrap?

Not a crazy idea Mark. Its simply a friction/force issue. The grippy surface is going to reduce the slide around the drum. I guess the issue becomes by how much is there a differential between the outer fibres that are stuck to the sandpaper and the internal fibres stretching under tension - does it affect the integrity of the rope - maybe?. In reality you are not losing any rope length with the strap as its still the same length you could not access without the 'restrictor' I reckon. I will give min e a go and also the brother as he is sure to put his winch under more duress than mine, and see what the outcome is - stay tuned!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TJM winch

That’s Mega Hodgey Legend:-)
    Go the starter ‘triple clove’ now proven on rope for sure good man was my honest original thoughts although genuinely worried that steel cable blokes direct to drums may misconstrue and squish out all structural integrity?
    Quite new to recreational recovery rope myself but do love it now too, shiploads less steel splinters and a lot less airborne danger breakage potential I’m lead to believe too?

EDIT: ‘Clove hitches’ , themselves are not Nanny Nation banned these days, just roping down your truck loads :-) Best to sarcastically entrust in a $19.99 watchet China ‘CE’ tagged strap from Brunning’s safety department, LOL :-)

“If you need good rope, work & play, can highly recommend Aussie Made, (Whittam Ropes - Carrum Downs - Victoria- Australia)”

9,000kg/10mm - 11,000kg/11mm - 13,000kg/12mm

Last edited by MB; 8th October 2019 at 08:30 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234