OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: GU factory fog light install - SUCCESS!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU factory fog light install - SUCCESS!

Hey guys,

For any of you wondering if the GU factory fog light wiring is able to be used, the result is a resounding YES!

I did this mod on my son's '08 D40 Navara and assumed the same could be done on my '15 GU ST ute. The Nissan brochure makes no mention of fog lights as a factory option, however when I spotted the loom tucked up behind the bull bar, I figured I'd give it a go.

First step was to chop out the ugly plastic blanks in the ARB bull bar and install a set of new ARB LED fog lights. This was an easy one, as they were designed to fit. I had to chop off the factory connector and crimp the ARB connector to the factory wiring. Then I could plug the new lights straight in.

IMG_4274.jpg

Next was to flick through the electrical wiring diagrams (generously provided by this site) to see how they are wired. The 15A fog light fuse was already installed, so that was easy.

IMG_4280.jpg

Next was the relay. My ute had no relay in the "FR FOG LAMP" socket but I spotted one in the "RAD FAN" socket. As there was no radiator fan in sight, the quick solution was to move the fan relay into the fog light spot. The "RAD FAN" relay socket had only two terminals connected, so I knew for sure that it was not being used. Of course, if yours has a radiator fan, then a new relay would be needed.

IMG_4278.jpgIMG_4276.jpg

Next was the switch in the cabin. After removing the steering column plastic covers, I spotted a lonely white connector with two wires. Bridging these terminals (with the headlights on) lit up the new fogs - perfect!

IMG_4269.jpg

Next was a trip to my local Nissan dealer to get a new indicator stalk. This was the biggest hassle, as they ordered one to suit my VIN, which of course, was the exact one I already had. So after some searching by the Nissan parts man, he ordered the correct one. It was not an Australian stock item, so it had to come from Japan - took 2 weeks.

IMG_4270.jpgIMG_4268.jpg

Two screws and 30 seconds later, the new indicator stalk was installed and "let there be light"

IMG_4281.jpg

An extra bonus is the instrument cluster indicator, which only works using the factory wiring.

IMG_4271.jpg

Now I have "factory" fog lights - yay!

Not sure if all other models have this factory loom installed, but given the small amount of extra components, my guess would be highly likely. It would be a very simple dealer fitted option (even though not available here in OZ), so it would make sense for Nissan to include most of the wiring ready to go.

Overall it was a super easy job. Not that fog lights are particularly effective but I reckon they look pretty neat compared to those ugly plastic blanking caps. The ARB lamps were about $120 and the switch was about $240. Yeah it's a bit expensive but when the missus is watching "The Bachelor" on the telly, I'm in the garage playing with the truck, so it was worth every cent!

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DaveyC For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (13th August 2019), clawrence (11th August 2019), Cremulator (11th August 2019), MB (12th August 2019), MudRunnerTD (11th August 2019), mudski (12th August 2019), Rossco (11th August 2019), rusty_nail (11th August 2019), Touses (12th August 2019), Yeti's Beast (5th June 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bloody legend mate. Did you document the wiring colours at the bar?? The part number for the stalk is a bonus. Thank you.

What about daylight running lights? Is that part of the loom too by chance?

Great thread mate. I have the lights fitted but not wired.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yeah - why didn't I think of that.

Cables to both lamps had only two wires: red/blue and black
    Cable to switch connector also only two wires: red and blue/black

Definitely no other wiring there for daytime running lights, so that would be some custom wiring for you to do.

Enjoy!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveyC For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th August 2019), rusty_nail (12th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant thread. I have no interest in fog lights but good to know there's easy pre-installed loom with a dash indicator.. will be useful for something!
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 473 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
    An extra bonus is the instrument cluster indicator, which only works using the factory wiring.

IMG_4271.jpg
    Oh, I shouldn't have seen this, LOL.

I have the factory fogs on the proper stalk but have no instrument cluster indicator. And I was happy... Now I will have to find the whereabouts of my cluster indicator!

1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper