Thread: How to bleed/flush clutch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to bleed/flush clutch

Hiya
    Never done this before so could you please tell me how to bleed and flush the clutch cylinders/lines and tell me if there is a secondary clutch cylinder also.

Cheers in advance
    Brett

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday,
    From ur photo, assume u have a GQ. Had to replace the clutch line few weeks ago. was a mongrel.
    The clutch line has a tee piece/block in it, so line goes from the master cylinder to the clutch cylinder, but also about halfway down the tee comes off and goes to another bleed nipple near the top of the engine bay. There is also a bleed nipple on the clutch cylinder (on the bottom passenger side of the motor).
    Normally, have someone assist you pump on the clutch 3-4 times, and then hold it down. crack the bleed nipple open and release the pressure, air etc, then tighten it back up and get your assistant to let their foot off the clutch and repeat the process. Keep an eye on the reservoir though, 4-5 times of doing this can drain it, if it sucks air you will be back to square one.
    Now the reason i mention the Tee block in the line earlier, is because they have a nasty habit of letting the fluid through and seem to be bled, but they trap air, when letting your foot off the clutch sucks it back through the block. After trying to bleed it for 2 1/2 hrs, got it so the car would idle in gear but wants to creep forward, and cant change gear when stationary, only when moving (think dog box). Got a good mechanic to look at it, and had the same problem, upon consulting the local brake/clutch man, told us was a common problem and to throw the factory line in the bin, and changing the line with another that didn't have the tee block in it, so went straight from the master cylinder to clutch cylinder, plus these lines are about $20 cheaper than the original ones.
    Runs Awsum.
    Hopefully this was helpful and stops some dramas for u.

Cheers

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlimJim For This Useful Post:

HippoNZ (11th June 2011), YNOT (11th June 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?771-gq-3l-having-trouble-bleeding-clutch.&highlight=bleeding+clutch check this out here on the forum mate

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by YNOT; 11th June 2011 at 04:12 PM.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

HippoNZ (11th June 2011)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old thread but I will dredge it to add what I know (have learned)

Never before encountered problems bleeding, not of course until I'm 500 miles from home!

I bent the "cushion" side (top air bleed, by diesel filter) so as the coil is now horizontal and the line is all up-hill, which is the way air likes to go relative to liquid.

All components except master cyl are new (HD clutch plate, pressure plate, throwout fork+bearing, slave cylinder, vacuum booster...)

The symptom was good pedal feel +engagement when off, but loose and unable to select gears while engine running.
    If vehicle started with clutch pressed and in gear then it would not move, ie, the clutch works.

Solution (so far) is to change engagement on vacuum-master push/actuation rod. Factory spec is -1.3 to -1.4mm. I have cranked this out to +0.8 or so, which slightly preloads the master cyl plunger.
    Haven't taken it far yet. and I'm aware that if the plunger doesn't come back far enough then it wont allow fluid to return to the reservoir, causing the bearing to constantly engage the pressure plate....
    will let y'all know in a few hundred KM
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42