Thread: Removing middle row seats

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing middle row seats

Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not it's roadworthy if you take out middle row seats? I've read that you only need to notify VicRoads and change it to a 2 seater on rego. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need to present your vehicle to a VASS engineer, pay the ransom amount and demonstrate the seat belts have been removed,along with the seat, then take your VASS certificate to Vicroads and they will inspect the rear seats, confirm the belts and seats are removed, then change the vehicle details to a 2 seater. I am guessing, only guessing, that depending on what you intend to use the new space for, they may require fitment of a cargo barrier - or perhaps they simply take the standpoint that a cargo barrier is not required, same as any wagon where a cargo barrier is fitted behind the rear seats. Then, when you have finished with the 2 seat config, you will have to go thru the same process to 'undo' the change,more cash-ola.

I have been down this options path myself as I have devices mounted on the wire of the rear cargo barrier, which had to be removed unless I went thru and changed the rego to a 2 seater. Additionally, depending on which VASS engineer you go to, they may 'insist' on completing a 'safety check' of the entire vehicle to ensure it meets every single up to the minute rule and regulation, regardless of whether the mod can out with the vehicle or not - I know because this was tried on me, case in point, the indicators in my ARB Deluxe bullbar, purchased new via the dealer in July 1997, supposedly now unroadworthy according to the VASS engineer as they should be indicator/parker lights. Now, when you go to actually buy the units they demand, there isn't a light fitting avail as a direct fit, so more cash-ola to be transferred to modify the bar. Be careful who you engage with is perhaps the warning. If you PM me I will let you know who to avoid.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, I'll check that out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GQJay For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (27th July 2019)