Thread: Snorkel Sock/Unifilter

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snorkel Sock/Unifilter

Hi all,

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on these for desert/red centre driving?

As far as I can see, unless you're driving too close up the back of someone, the difference would be negligible. Furthermore, having to clean them every day seems like it would get pretty old fast.

However, after an hour or so of trawling through Google, I can't find all that many opinions of them.

Edit: Actually scrap that, I'm going to run without one. My mate will have one on his though. I'll let everyone know how they go in comparison to one another
    Last edited by Jimmyboyjr4; 26th July 2019 at 08:55 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmyboyjr4 For This Useful Post:

juzzs8 (24th October 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the filter head sock - unifillter from memory. Made no difference to performance when clean, but by the end of the day, travelling in dusty conditions, the vehicle felt a bit dough'y and blowing a bit of smoke. When I got into camp found the front surface of the sock was completely clogged up. I washed it out and next day it was fine again. They do their job of prefiltering, but by that function they block the airflow. There are longneck styles also avail up to a 3" dia snorkle that work the same but have a much larger area to pre-filter, so these might give a better result. I was chasing a long sock for 4" snorkle but they dont make them.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 27th July 2019 at 10:27 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Jimmyboyjr4 (30th July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't laugh, but I fit a stocking over my snorkel. Yes a ladies' leg stocking (black of course). Obviously doesn't filter dust but keeps all objects larger than say a millimetre out of the air box. Been using them for years after being surprised how many bugs and bits of stick were getting through. It's a great improvement. As far as real filtering, I just stick with paper filters and change them out as needed. They're a consumable like oil filters so I dont sweat it.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th July 2019), Jimmyboyjr4 (30th July 2019), PeeBee (27th July 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would probably be just as good , if not better faceing your snorkel head backwards and not following to closely whilst on the dirt . it would be a good comparison if both you and your mate were to start out with new/ clean filters and check them when you get home to see the difference.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

Jimmyboyjr4 (30th July 2019), PeeBee (27th July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Don't laugh, but I fit a stocking over my snorkel. Yes a ladies' leg stocking (black of course). Obviously doesn't filter dust but keeps all objects larger than say a millimetre out of the air box. Been using them for years after being surprised how many bugs and bits of stick were getting through. It's a great improvement. As far as real filtering, I just stick with paper filters and change them out as needed. They're a consumable like oil filters so I dont sweat it.
    Ha ha, I have been doing the same, but the only stocking I had developed a large ladder, so now running naked again.
    Paper filter does a good job, but have been finding that the connection from the breather out of the rocker box to the intake hose somehow manages to blow a bit of oil mist onto the filter element even though the connection is after the air filter & airflow goes from filter to motor. It is very little, but just enough to make removal of fine outback dust build up difficult.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Jimmyboyjr4 (30th July 2019), Plasnart (27th July 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    .......There are longneck styles also avail up to a 3" dia snorkle that work the same but have a much larger area to pre-filter, so these might give a better result. I was chasing a long sock for 4" snorkle but they dont make them.
    I use the Nissan version of UniFilter Droopy's in my Fatz 4" snorkel.
    Easy enough to make an adaptor out of plumbing fittings.
    Can get a floor waste that is a neat fit in a Fatz 4" snorkel.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffayres For This Useful Post:

mudski (30th July 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffayres View Post
    I use the Nissan version of UniFilter Droopy's in my Fatz 4" snorkel.
    Easy enough to make an adaptor out of plumbing fittings.
    Can get a floor waste that is a neat fit in a Fatz 4" snorkel.
    What size if the 'nissan version'? Is it something you buy from a dealer?If not, can you share a link pls? Also details on what 'adapters' you use would speed up the process as well if you can, even just a photo?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use pool skimmer basket socks with rectangles of 20 mm Unifilter foam that I scavenged from my TB45E air filter when I did the conversion. I keep 3 in the door pocket..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

MB (31st July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhat useless post here me, our little southern winter mountain top wonderlands with ice/sleet driving finds reverse snorkel heads work best at times. Bestest FNQ mates have joined us down south before and ripped blocked socks off and borrowed screwdrivers temporarily:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    What size if the 'nissan version'? Is it something you buy from a dealer?If not, can you share a link pls? Also details on what 'adapters' you use would speed up the process as well if you can, even just a photo?
    https://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/...ecleaners.html

Scroll to the bottom for the version that suits the TJM/Nissan/Airtec snorkels.
    I use the PRECLEAN3 TJM 'cos I bought them when I was using the Nissan snorkel.

Will see what I can do about details and/or a photo on the weekend.
    Last edited by geoffayres; 31st July 2019 at 07:38 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffayres For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (31st July 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast