Thread: Fraser Island trip planning - February 2020

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fraser Island trip planning - February 2020

G'day everyone,

Im in the middle of planning a trip up to Fraser Island in February 2020 kicking off from Sydney.

The plan is to take a few days to get up there and a few days to get back after staying on the Island for about 6 days.

Not towing anything and will be driving the GU. (Still have to install the Winch, UHF radio, Snorkel and a set of new tyres on steel rims but that will be done in the next few months) We will be staying at Eurong Resort up there and then do day trips out on the Island.

The trip up we will stop in Coffs Harbour for a day. This is my home town so want to take a look at what has changed. Haven't been there for close to 12 years now. From Coffs we will make our way up towards Rainbow beach and stay overnight somewhere close, within at least an hours drive or so. Then the next day we can jump on the ferry relatively easily.

After staying on the Island we will then head south and out to Towoomba and on our way to Grafton. Stay overnight in Grafton to then do the "Old Grafton Road" and check out the convict built tunnel and other sights along the way. Stopping in Uralla for a night before then heading down "Thunderbolts Way" through Walcha and Gloucester to then hit the freeway and the last leg home to Sydney.

Thats the plan anyway. I am researching Fraser and although the "Good time of year" to visit is in the Winter, thats also the expensive time of year and busiest with fishermen and Whale watchers. I chose February because its outside of school holidays and it will still be hot enough to swim.

Am I missing anything? Have I chosen the wrong time and should wait and do this trip in like August or September?

Because the alternate trip is to the High country from Albury up through Myrtleford, Bright, Mt Beauty and across over the Jindabyne.

Appreciate any feedback that you guys and gals may have.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't input much but I've heard Fraser gets packed. I haven't been to Fraser but have been to Moreton and loved it.

If you do the Vic trip, 100% make Mt.Buffalo a stop on your trip, its just outside of Porepunka, before Bright. Beautiful place. In Bright, the Bright Brewery is a must. Drinking beer on the banks of the Ovens river is one of my favorite past times. Winter is a great time to visit this area. If your not doing and 4wd tracks it will be o.k. As a lot of tracks will be closed up that way. Actually getting across the Snowy River rd from the Omeo Valley may prove difficult in winter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

rkinsey (22nd July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,216 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day Rob, sounds like a great trip mate!
    Has been many years for me but did have some great times on the island making the extra weeks stay effort beyond Indian Head up to our usual camp near Ocean Lake track entry not too far from Waddy Point.
    September back then was our preferred time chasing Taylor fishy’s although got a bit busy as you’ve mentioned.
    Do remember the wind/weather was so much nicer on that top side though and maybe something to consider as the main stretch can blow a dog off a chain at times camping.
    Have fun, stay safe, watch out for freshwater creeks coming out on the beach, slow right down as they can rip blokes axles clean off!
    Cheers Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

rkinsey (22nd July 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I can't input much but I've heard Fraser gets packed. I haven't been to Fraser but have been to Moreton and loved it.

If you do the Vic trip, 100% make Mt.Buffalo a stop on your trip, its just outside of Porepunka, before Bright. Beautiful place. In Bright, the Bright Brewery is a must. Drinking beer on the banks of the Ovens river is one of my favorite past times. Winter is a great time to visit this area. If your not doing and 4wd tracks it will be o.k. As a lot of tracks will be closed up that way. Actually getting across the Snowy River rd from the Omeo Valley may prove difficult in winter.
    Thanks Mudski.

Thinking that I will do the High country in the Summer and Winter and yes will definitely have a look at MT Buffalo. I spent 6 years in Albury\Wodonga in the Army oh a few years back now.... ok more than a few. Was 1989 when I left. Back then we used to go to Beachworth for the pies and Bright for the beer. Will be interesting to see how much the place has changed.

So Im still tossing up between Fraser and the High country at this stage but thanks for the input.

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rkinsey For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd July 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G’day Rob, sounds like a great trip mate!
    Has been many years for me but did have some great times on the island making the extra weeks stay effort beyond Indian Head up to our usual camp near Ocean Lake track entry not too far from Waddy Point.
    September back then was our preferred time chasing Taylor fishy’s although got a bit busy as you’ve mentioned.
    Do remember the wind/weather was so much nicer on that top side though and maybe something to consider as the main stretch can blow a dog off a chain at times camping.
    Have fun, stay safe, watch out for freshwater creeks coming out on the beach, slow right down as they can rip blokes axles clean off!
    Cheers Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mark,

Yep. Have been researching this trip for a while now. Wont be camping on this trip. More of a shakedown long trip before our 25th anniversary in 2021. That will be either a high country trip, a trip to Tasmania or a trip to Uluru, Kings Canyon, the Macdonald ranges and Alice Springs.

Although February is still the wet season up there I think it should be ok and staying in the resort rooms should be relatively comfortable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rkinsey For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd July 2019)