Thread: 2002- 2004 gu

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2002- 2004 gu

I have heard avout a grenade engine in early 2000 model gu's is this common or a hoax? Are there specific years that have this issue ?

Im looking onto a 2002 and 2004 models at the moment any major issues that you might be able to inderline may help greatly.
    Thanks, Simon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Simon, please head over to the intro thread and introduceyourself, you will probably get more inviting answers after doing that mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi again mate, thanks for following up on the intro.

I have a 2004 direct injection 3L. It Lewis on me in 2015 4 months after buying it. Spend over 10k to full rebuild. New ip new head new turbo.

The head just cracked again and I'm currently not driving it. It's just a bloody dud.

There are no specific models which have this issue, there are plenty of people on here who have good experiences with their 3L. It is just a lottery. From my experience, the direct injection motors are far more likely to blow than the crd. If you can go a year newer(I think crd started in 05 or 06) then your much less likely to have issues imho.

If you aren't able to do that, first thing you should do upon purchasing a di motor would be NADS. Plenty of info on that on here, it was pioneered/perfected by some of our members on here. Improves your motors chances of survival.

Good luck in the hunt

Rusty.

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,288 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont think I've ever heard of a Common Rail grenading. But, there is still a heap of grey nomads getting around in early GU's with a gazzilion k's on them and no issues. No matter what you hear, I think buying one of these motors is a lucky dip.
    If you are adamant on buying Direct injection 3Ltr, be prepared for the worst, then if it happens, you knew it was coming, if it doesn't. Scored! Having said all that. They go alright for the size of the motor.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrs MB and I once squeezed a good solid 100,000kms out of a beaut 2001 ZD30 driving/towing ever so horsey float mountain hauling cautiously. Fanning the clutch for torquey rise takeoffs was the found telltale for us upgrading to her TD42T lugging faithful slug. Do still genuinely miss the 3.0L unladen zippyness, stock alloy bar and OEM
    plastic bits everywhere, it was truly a fast little big awesome truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th July 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps rusty sounds like i might be in for some headaches lol might have to avoid the whole thing. Is there some way of testing to see if it will blow? I might pay to get it checked over by a professional link up the computer and all. For now ill research NADS
    Thanks, Simon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    Thanks heaps rusty sounds like i might be in for some headaches lol might have to avoid the whole thing. Is there some way of testing to see if it will blow? I might pay to get it checked over by a professional link up the computer and all. For now ill research NADS
    Thanks, Simon
    Every car is a headache/gamble mate. The di 3L are just a high risk. It doesn't happen to everyone but it happens, a fair bit. If you can get a crd, you're chances improve significantly

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    So series 3 you wouldn't be too stressed about? Not sure if i can budget a 2007 so the 2004 series 3 looks affordable and not as fragile?
    Bringing your intro question over here.

Guiv series 4 started Sept 04, its the model I have. The motor changed to crd in 2006 I believe, maybe even earlier. If your budget is tight look at these year models, you might find something you can afford. Also guiv are MUCH nicer inside

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,288 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Mrs MB and I once squeezed a good solid 100,000kms out of a beaut 2001 ZD30 driving/towing ever so horsey float mountain hauling cautiously. Fanning the clutch for torquey rise takeoffs was the found telltale for us upgrading to her TD42T lugging faithful slug. Do still genuinely miss the 3.0L unladen zippyness, stock alloy bar and OEM
    plastic bits everywhere, it was truly a fast little big awesome truck

Yeah they are pretty zippy hey. But chuck a load on them and it changes. A much better option for a city daily shopping trolley in my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly Mudski mate, we were back then truly impressed too with their top end towing abilities, twas only the low low down clutch fanning caper that we knew wasn’t going to last long or at least replace plates half yearly. Horses floating, do need super smooth takeoffs and slow uphill cornering which unfortunately 3.0L in any 3.0T foolish truck choice for us was never going to work. Not the vehicles fault but ours :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast