User Tag List

Thread: Looking for my axle carrying capacity

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for my axle carrying capacity

I have looked on my axles on my 92 Td42 Gq but there is nothing there any more, I want to work out how much I have to change to upgrade my GVM I will be upgrading to Gu axles soon but I just want to work out what I have now

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send your VIN to Nissan and they will send you back a nice letter telling you. I did this. It is probably hidden in the manual somewhere also. I know my GVM has 2800 for a 2.8TD. I have a GVM increase to 3300kg which is the limit of the front and rear axles on mine being 1500kg for the front and 1800kg for the rear. Didn't matter what coils or shockers or stiffeners or airbags or 'whatever', the axle capacity sets the GVM upgrade, in Victoria via a VASS engineer. The only way to go higher is to swap out the entire front and rear ends to something else, then get that engineered. Marks Portals use the GU axle housing and 100 series land cruiser stubs and brakes so GVM goes as high as 3980kg from memory. I don't know if you intend going the VASS route, but I think a call to a VASS engineer would confirm all this and maybe give you some options - unsure if they will sign off on GU housings in GQ for whatever obscure reasons. Hope this helps

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

First Pooy (17th July 2019), mudski (16th July 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Send your VIN to Nissan and they will send you back a nice letter telling you. I did this. It is probably hidden in the manual somewhere also. I know my GVM has 2800 for a 2.8TD. I have a GVM increase to 3300kg which is the limit of the front and rear axles on mine being 1500kg for the front and 1800kg for the rear. Didn't matter what coils or shockers or stiffeners or airbags or 'whatever', the axle capacity sets the GVM upgrade, in Victoria via a VASS engineer. The only way to go higher is to swap out the entire front and rear ends to something else, then get that engineered. Marks Portals use the GU axle housing and 100 series land cruiser stubs and brakes so GVM goes as high as 3980kg from memory. I don't know if you intend going the VASS route, but I think a call to a VASS engineer would confirm all this and maybe give you some options - unsure if they will sign off on GU housings in GQ for whatever obscure reasons. Hope this helps
    How the hell did you get axles with that rating I had to get Gu ute axles just to get 3150

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You add 1500 to 1800 and get 3300, thats it, nothing more to it. So it shifts the GVM up to the max axles capacity. These are the numbers from Nissan Australia for a 1997 GQ Patrol LWB

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by First Pooy View Post
    I have looked on my axles on my 92 Td42 Gq but there is nothing there any more, I want to work out how much I have to change to upgrade my GVM I will be upgrading to Gu axles soon but I just want to work out what I have now
    The axle load is the same between GQ and GU (1500 and 1800 as posted by Pee Bee)... but (there is always a but) don't confuse 'factory' GVM and 'raw' axle loading ratings.
    Factory GVM spec will always be less than the F + R axle load... well, at least I have never seen any Patrol where it wasn't but could be wrong about a GQ leafy with the big diff
    Nissan GU spec here https://www.perthcitynissan.com.au/b...patrol_y61.pdf

Note that link is for later GU as the GQ GVM specs vary greatly depending on engine, transmission, coil or leaf, rear diff type but AFAIK the axle load rating for GQ and GU has always been 1500 front and 1800 for the smaller diff

What I mean is that if you get a plated GVM upgrade from, say, 3150 factory spec to 3300 front + rear axle permissable axle load then you have to load the extra 150 Kg so that you have the correct distribution IE you can't just chuck it in the back if that means the front axle load becomes1400 but the rear axle now weighs in at 1900. You are at GVM but over the individual axle group specs.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

First Pooy (19th July 2019), MB (19th July 2019), PeeBee (19th July 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

Looking for Nissan Factory Specs for Rear Axle Housing Load Ratings/Technical Data for the H260 Axle housing from Leaf Sprung Nissan Y61 Ute.

Wondering if anyone has a data sheet from Nissan or knows where I can find/download these specs???

Hoping someone can help????