User Tag List

Thread: Should I turbo the 4.5 motor in my GU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I turbo the 4.5 motor in my GU

Hi Guys, my son just rang me, telling me that his mechanic friend that he pop in to his workshop. and after saying that dad has 4.5 gu. he came back to him, I have a complete turbo setup to do changeover. he said just ran it as standard , e.g. 6 psi. should get around 220kws. my ? is there any fuel savings or is all about power regards Alex
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt there would be fuel savings but maybe. It will not be working as hard so maybe. It will sing and go very well. Push 13psi or more and she will booty.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

altech (17th July 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    More likely you will thrash it cause it's fun though!!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Send it!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (16th July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id say your asking for a lot of headache, plus extra $$ you will have to outlay to complete the install, then stuffing around with teething problems, extra strain on the drive line etc.

But yeh you should totally do it and post the burnout video.......err i mean pics of the install
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

altech (17th July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost did this 5 or 6 years ago but I’m sure I dodged a bullet. Best decision I made was to pull the engine out and fit a TD42T with my TB45E auto box.

Do some more research, you’ll find that it’s highly recommended to change the conrods. There’s no correct way to do it on the cheap. It will continually cost..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

altech (17th July 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know 2 people that have tb45 turbo sets ups and they swear by them....

As for me i dont really buy it....

They arent the greatest motor to start with... they're big, theyre old, theyre underpowered amd they love to drink...

I just couldnt justify turboing mine as id imagine it would cost morej adding a turbo to an already thirsty vehicle...

As someone else said about it will just start costing you funds you didnt think you needed to spend... the current disi amd coil set up aint the best for turbos if trying to get 220rwkw out of it and i think many go ls coilpacks wuth them...

Not to mention my mate also had to run an aftermarket ecu with his so add 2k for that plus wiring plus another 1500 for dyno on top of eberything else...

I ended up ripping my tb45 out of my gu patrol amd i went something a little different... and it absolutely hammers

20190424_125335.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Baby Daddy For This Useful Post:

altech (17th July 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Daddy View Post
    I know 2 people that have tb45 turbo sets ups and they swear by them....

As for me i dont really buy it....

They arent the greatest motor to start with... they're big, theyre old, theyre underpowered amd they love to drink...

I just couldnt justify turboing mine as id imagine it would cost morej adding a turbo to an already thirsty vehicle...

As someone else said about it will just start costing you funds you didnt think you needed to spend... the current disi amd coil set up aint the best for turbos if trying to get 220rwkw out of it and i think many go ls coilpacks wuth them...

Not to mention my mate also had to run an aftermarket ecu with his so add 2k for that plus wiring plus another 1500 for dyno on top of eberything else...

I ended up ripping my tb45 out of my gu patrol amd i went something a little different... and it absolutely hammers

All the turbo bits are from already been setup GU 4.5 , will cost me $550 for all that, the ecu you where talking about , the guy has that too which I can get for $1000, he did mention it's 3 grand ecu unit new. So that ready tune/setup to go.
    fitting will easy to do at home e.g. should take my Son 2 days. hehe he 37 and still plays with Datsun 1600 and he loves this shit.
    Last edited by altech; 17th July 2019 at 09:01 AM.
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 642 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by altech View Post
    Hi Guys, my son just rang me, telling me that his mechanic friend that he pop in to his workshop. and after saying that dad has 4.5 gu. he came back to him, I have a complete turbo setup to do changeover. he said just ran it as standard , e.g. 6 psi. should get around 220kws. my ? is there any fuel savings or is all about power regards Alex
    Don't do things by halves. Go the whole hog, SUPERCHARGER. PeeBee should be able to help you out with any install info.
    Including the bad language reserved for dealing with suppliers of parts!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

altech (17th July 2019), MB (19th July 2019), PeeBee (17th July 2019)