User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New project.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might not appear so but the GQ project is advancing.....

IMG_2643.JPG
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Family4x4 For This Useful Post:

Avo (3rd August 2019), MB (2nd August 2019), Rossco (3rd August 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progress report.

The hilux chassis pictured in the above post sat around taking up room for far to long, the Corona hit and for some reason I got motivated....the car went from the chassis to driving in about 4 days and is now a farm ute destined to cart horse feed around the paddocks for ever.....

IMG_2744.JPGIMG_2785.JPG

Once the hilux was out of the way I moved the patrol wagon into the shed. I started to strip it....but home schooling has slowed progress.

Stripping most of it is pretty straight forward, I unpicked the radiator support from the wagon as the leaf ute has the early MQ style front. I will use the wagon rad support, guards and grill.

THe leaf ute didn't have boost assisted clutch so that has been put in from the wagon, the wagons brake booster is bigger so that is in the ute too, these swaps meant engine bay brake and clutch lines needed to be swapped. Most of the pipe clips on the firewall are brittle so I will order some new ones.

The wagon body is close to being lifted off but it's easier to leave it on right now while I swap everything.

IMG_2781.JPGIMG_2777.JPGIMG_2778.JPGIMG_2775.JPGIMG_2779.JPGIMG_2776.JPG
    Last edited by Family4x4; 3rd May 2020 at 06:48 PM.
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Family4x4 For This Useful Post:

MB (4th May 2020), mudski (4th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have missed the start of this. Welcome back mate.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (4th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progress woohoo haha.

Keep motivated mate I'll lend a hand when I can.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to matfew For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (4th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slow but steady progress, as much as I have wanted to rush and lift the wagon body I have resisted and stripped everything I want from it as it will be much easier to access now as opposed to when it's resting on a trailer....It turned out to be a bit more than I planned....the hardest part so far has been undoing the electrical plugs...due to some minor physical limitations I spent an hour trying to undo one!!!

I wanted to keep the swaybar disconnect the ute had everything bar the bracket for the lever which attaches to the underside of the steering column...so I began stripping that out and have decided that the ute will also get the upgraded tilt steering column, (I bet that only ever gets used once)!

I also wanted the Jesus bar so dash out...the wagon had trailer brakes so that was stripped too definitely installed by an auto elec on an hourly rate...neat job and about 3 packs of cable ties in all the hard to reach places.

Clutch and brake boosters both fitted to the ute, ute also needed an accelerator pedal and hand throttle so they are in too

As I packed up this evening I took all of the tools out...apart from the trailer plug and fuel filler lines the body is ready to lift! I will have a crack tomorrow if I get time.

Hopefully the weather holds out so the chassis can get a clean and a quick coat of paint.

Big thanks to the forum and its contributors being able to search the odd bit of info for the best method of removal or install or just browsing other people's builds late at night for idea or while dreaming about how much of a beast this ute will be (it probably won't be haha) is a great help and motivator.

IMG_2803.JPGIMG_2804.JPGIMG_2806.JPG

Theodore Roosevelt

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Family4x4 For This Useful Post:

MB (6th May 2020), mudnut (5th May 2020), mudski (6th May 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Family4x4 View Post
    Slow but steady progress, as much as I have wanted to rush and lift the wagon body I have resisted and stripped everything I want from it as it will be much easier to access now as opposed to when it's resting on a trailer....It turned out to be a bit more than I planned....the hardest part so far has been undoing the electrical plugs...due to some minor physical limitations I spent an hour trying to undo one!!!

I wanted to keep the swaybar disconnect the ute had everything bar the bracket for the lever which attaches to the underside of the steering column...so I began stripping that out and have decided that the ute will also get the upgraded tilt steering column, (I bet that only ever gets used once)!

I also wanted the Jesus bar so dash out...the wagon had trailer brakes so that was stripped too definitely installed by an auto elec on an hourly rate...neat job and about 3 packs of cable ties in all the hard to reach places.

Clutch and brake boosters both fitted to the ute, ute also needed an accelerator pedal and hand throttle so they are in too

As I packed up this evening I took all of the tools out...apart from the trailer plug and fuel filler lines the body is ready to lift! I will have a crack tomorrow if I get time.

Hopefully the weather holds out so the chassis can get a clean and a quick coat of paint.

Big thanks to the forum and its contributors being able to search the odd bit of info for the best method of removal or install or just browsing other people's builds late at night for idea or while dreaming about how much of a beast this ute will be (it probably won't be haha) is a great help and motivator.
    Hats off to you mate. That minor physical limitation you have, doesn't really seem to limit too much though. Im really impressed.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (6th May 2020), MB (6th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wagon body lifted! Came off pretty well there was 4 electrical plugs on top of the chassis for the fuel sender and tail lights, they were a bit of a pain but all in all another productive day and step closer. I used a block and tackle to sling through the doors and an engine crane to balance the back.

Tomorrow wash and paint chassis if I have time.

IMG_2824.JPGIMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2809.JPGIMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2807.JPGIMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG
    Last edited by Family4x4; 6th May 2020 at 07:48 PM.

Theodore Roosevelt

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Family4x4 For This Useful Post:

MB (6th May 2020), mudski (6th May 2020), PeeBee (6th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job mate they k funny apart like that. Any idea how the clutch is? Now is the best time ever to change it if need be. Takes like half hour. I don't mind with body off. Just use engine crane to sort the box and slice it back. So much easier haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to matfew For This Useful Post:

MB (6th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It drove fine home.....but no idea really if I can get the chassis painted while the weather is still ok, I can then push it back in the shed and start to sort out suspension and running gear...chasing a GU front diff housing caliper to caliper and a 4:3 rear diff centre if anyone has them.

Theodore Roosevelt

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Family4x4 For This Useful Post:

MB (6th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early start out there at 5:45am, Mrs was stoked at the karcher going before sun up!

IMG_2833.JPG
    Yesterday afternoon

IMG_2845.JPGIMG_2846.JPG
    This morning.

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2850.JPGIMG_2851.JPG
    After a degrease and pressure wash.
    Last edited by Family4x4; 7th May 2020 at 09:25 AM.

Theodore Roosevelt

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Family4x4 For This Useful Post:

MB (7th May 2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast