Thread: 2002- 2004 gu

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I wasn’t impressed with its towing capabilities at all to be honest. While it was ok towing our camper along a flat road, hit a hill and your soon hunting for lower gears. The mighty TD (with a slight tickle under the hood) will round up a line of nomads like they are standing still on pretty much any hill.
    If I had a choice, driving a ZD in traffic or around town is far better than the TD. Boost straight off the pedal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (19th July 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A slight tickle TD4.2T :-)
    You’re running a good top 50% weapon above stock these days maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    I have heard avout a grenade engine in early 2000 model gu's is this common or a hoax? Are there specific years that have this issue ?

Im looking onto a 2002 and 2004 models at the moment any major issues that you might be able to inderline may help greatly.
    Thanks, Simon.
    Hi mate, you have had some great advice here. to add my 2 cents. The ZD30 was nearlly the first 3lt diesel to go bang. Lots of them did it. Nissan got cained for it. Nissan Drivers and the GU got cained by Toyota drivers for the "Grenade" Engine.

Rightio i say!!! The Toyota Clan kept very very quiet about the number of Prados with 3lts in them where going bang too. It seems many of the smaller diesels are going bang quietly. Now there are a few Common Rails going bang too but the CRD ZD30 it not one of them from what i know. Let us talk Prado, Rangers Even the Colarado are all going bang when they are getting a few kms on them (+100,000) (aint that many.....). Let us now also talk about the mighty 200 series with the stomping V8 Twin Turbo or teh 76 and 79 series with the same V8 Turbo... Google "Dusted V8 Landcruiser" for an interesting read.

As Rusty states, if you can extend your search for a CRD in the GUIV then thats the pick. If you can find a decent TD42 then that is my choice for sure.

Good luck with your search.

Remember, every other marque wishes their drivetrain was a Nissan Patrol....Just Say'n.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (20th July 2019), mudski (20th July 2019), rusty_nail (20th July 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DI ran until the end of 2006. CRD hit the market in 2007. I have the 2006 DI.
    Had the joy of a grenade with my 2006 Di, but I am pretty sure I was over fueling--mods to MAF, turbo etc. I am now back to factory tune--still have catch can and EGR.
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12