Thread: GU 1999 2.8l 5speed manual Gearbox rebuild help required

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU 1999 2.8l 5speed manual Gearbox rebuild help required

Hi all I知 wanting to rebuild a GU 99 2.8 for my son for his 18th. It痴 been given to him from my parents as his present. They owned it since 2000 and it痴 been a great car. The last few months they drove it they had trouble with getting in and out of 2nd gear. I dropped the oil and found metal in it. I知 hoping for bearing damage and not any gear breakage. I知 prepared for that if there is.
    So my question is what is the best procedures to remove the transmission.
    Also I知 going to be purchasing a rebuild kit with bearings seals and do I need gaskets as well. If there a good place to purchase gears and synchros if required and for a cheap price.
    I知 sure I will have lots more questions which I will post on this thread.
    So I知 advance I would like to thank you very much for your time a knowledge if you are able to help me. I知 hoping to have it done in the next few months. I want my plan of attack set before I start.
    Thanks again

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rusty, this is probably a FS5R30A Nissan 5 speed box which is in a GQ Patrol RB30 petrol, VLTurbo (MX7) Commodore & Nissan Skylines & Navaras etc. This number should be recorded on the ID plate on the firewall. The ratios are all different but the basic kits are the same, it has likely worn out the large ball race on the mainshaft (output shaft) Only gasket is on the front nose cone on the input shaft, the rest is sealer. They are a sweet changing strong box when they are not worn out, usually the top shifter boot perishes & dirt enters the box. The kits are available aftermarket from 4WD shops (Drivetech 4X4) are OK, but don't usually include synchro cones or energizer springs (best replace) or pawls, these are separate. Gears don't wear much & synchro cones can be height checked with a feeler gauge, watch for cracked selector forks & rail interlocks. Watch for interlock ball & spring falling into the box & getting lost when dismantling, best to follow the shop manual.
    Hope this helps - Leigh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you LeighC for for your reply. I知 going to read though what you wrote and and keep an eye out for those things.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dhuck. It痴 my first time on a forum. I知 sure I will be asking more questions as I start the rebuild

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeighC View Post
    Hi Rusty, this is probably a FS5R30A Nissan 5 speed box which is in a GQ Patrol RB30 petrol, VLTurbo (MX7) Commodore & Nissan Skylines & Navaras etc. This number should be recorded on the ID plate on the firewall. The ratios are all different but the basic kits are the same, it has likely worn out the large ball race on the mainshaft (output shaft) Only gasket is on the front nose cone on the input shaft, the rest is sealer. They are a sweet changing strong box when they are not worn out, usually the top shifter boot perishes & dirt enters the box. The kits are available aftermarket from 4WD shops (Drivetech 4X4) are OK, but don't usually include synchro cones or energizer springs (best replace) or pawls, these are separate. Gears don't wear much & synchro cones can be height checked with a feeler gauge, watch for cracked selector forks & rail interlocks. Watch for interlock ball & spring falling into the box & getting lost when dismantling, best to follow the shop manual.
    Hope this helps - Leigh
    Thank you. I値l be watching for these

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuck View Post
    Welcome to the forum mate
    Cheers Dhuck. First time on forums

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would really like other options or suggestions for more people if you are able to assist

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other opinions I meant to say