Thread: OBD sensors

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OBD sensors

Anybody got any idea the number of sensors and what type of sensors are read from the OBD on a 2013 Y61 GU8 3.0 wagon? My OBDlink MX+ arrived today and it has already confirmed that my speedo is out (reading high) by about 6 km/h. My speedo was always out in comparison to both my gps on the ipad and the gps on my phone and this seems to be confirmed by the reading from the OBD link. I also found that my installed VDO gauge for boost is not accurate as well. It never went above 11 psi and the OBD link has shown it at around 14/15 when going uphill at 110 kph .. I also need to know if anybody has an accurate engine temperature for the 3.0L engine to see if this is accurate.
    So far I have:
    engine temperature
    boost
    KPH
    Inlet air pressure
    RPM
    voltage

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    by law the car manufactures have to make the speedo read less . i run 5w-30 oil at 87 degrees , when i ran 5w-40 it ran at 88-89 degrees . some obd gauges can be set to include atmospheric pressure or regarde atmospheric pressure as 0 . most people regard atmospheric pressure as 0 . you might want to check your gauge setting . if your boost is a di then you would not want to go over 15 psi or you may get limp mode issues unless you do mods to prevent this. i have a crd and have run upto 25 psi with no issues but i normally run at 18 psi max boost.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh , and i have a scan gauge . but nissan dose'nt let you acess as many sensors as other manufactures do . the inlet pressure reading maybe just using the boost sensor but including atmospheric pressure .

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does that mean if I throw on a set of 33's then my speedo will be accurate? Hmmm I think I should advise the wife that 33's are needed to make sure the car is safe for driving on the road (might get away with that do ya think?) ...
    Yeah I'm running the CRD and thus far on the run today the boost peaked at 15 psi .. the bloody stupid VDO gauge doesn't even move unless pressure is up above 6psi and then it's bouncing around a bit. It doesn't go over 11 max so that will be coming out shortly. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be any more sensors available. I've tried all sorts and apart from those above there doesn't seem to be any more. Temps today was 86 .. the stock nissan temp gauge doesnt show much at all does it ..

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah , people on 33's say there speedo is almost spot on by gps ( crd's ). my scangauge boost peaked at about15-16 psi until i installed a dawes and needle valve setup to take control of boost and spool rate . search around the site for installation info with pic's , diagrams and setup info . once you get your head around it it's easy to do. the obd readers are good to have as backup for the stock gauges plus you can read and clear codes but unfortunately nissan does not allow much access .

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want to access any "additional" sensors that the ECU is looking at you will need to use the Xgauge function and program the gauge accordingly (using hex)

Here is what I mean for a Y62 to access things like eng oil temp and A/T oil temp for example...
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Gauge-MX/page2

Google is your friend to get the hex codes to set it all up... here is an example of what I mean
    https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-...ssan-infiniti/

The challenge is finding a site that has the codes or an individual who will share... I don't have any for the Y61... sorry

In my Series 5 I used a scangauge and i found the eng coolant temp to be quite accurate, it would sit at approx 89 degrees on a cooler day with minimal load IE daily driving and range between up to 115 under load in +40 W.A. summer days when towing up hills or going apeshit in the dunes etc
    Last edited by the evil twin; 14th July 2019 at 03:21 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OBDlink MX+ has hundreds of options as far as what sensors can send to it. But I have tried a lot and thus far there are not a lot more than what I listed above. I think I read somewhere that there are sensors on oil temps but I cannot find what site I read it nor for what model. But what i listed comes up clear and seemingly accurate. Very disappointed in the VDO gauges though .. I had to return one as it was faulty .. think I might chuck both and save for a pair of redarc gauges .. the price is a bit difficult to get over though .. I also thought I had boost fluctuation (according to the gauge), but nope it's steady as a rock with no bounce at all ..
    Oh I also read that there was an electronic way of closing the EGR valve .. heard of that ?? plugs into the OBD port. I assume it closes/opens a contact that in turn opens the valve ..

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Gauge has hundreds of options but there has to be;
    - a sensor fitted (EG you can't read EGT on a Pooey as there isn't one but can on other makes that do have an EGT sensor)
    - a function in the ECU that stores a parameter in a register or calculates a parameter from other inputs
    and
    - the manuf has gone with the OBDII protocol and not used their own IE the address of the register where a parameter is stored (lets say Coolant temp) is generic which means you can plug into any vehicle and you will get a reading.

An example is that the Ultraguage I have came ex USA with the Cruiser settings pre-programmed
    That meant that it would read A/T temp in a Cruiser and only a Cruiser, I had to change the programming to get A/T for my Y62 and then that means it works in a Y62 and only a Y62.

If you look at that link I posted earlier you will see that even on different Nissan models the A/T temp is in different register locations on each so what works in a QX80 won't work in other Nissans even tho the ECU is storing the data.
    But... coolant temp works in any/all models plug and play 'cause the register address is teh same in each ECU

VDO were really good quality back in the day...like a lot of things not so much now tho

IIRC the "EGRV % open" is a function of boost pressure and throttle position and is driven by the ECU to partially/fully open at low boost and low throttle for emissions. At high boost and/or high throttle % the EGRV is driven fully closed.
    Not sure how you could trick it via OBDII short of flashing the ECU EGRV setting as a dummy boost or throttle position would change other ECU outputs... but... there are a lot smarter dudes out there than me so maybe someone has sorted something out.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 14th July 2019 at 05:14 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    yeah , people on 33's say there speedo is almost spot on by gps ( crd's ). my scangauge boost peaked at about15-16 psi until i installed a dawes and needle valve setup to take control of boost and spool rate . search around the site for installation info with pic's , diagrams and setup info . once you get your head around it it's easy to do. the obd readers are good to have as backup for the stock gauges plus you can read and clear codes but unfortunately nissan does not allow much access .
    I have the 285/70x17 tyres, and my speedos a bit over, Reading 98 and doing 100kms

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk