Thread: Solar panel mounting GQ/Maverick

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar panel mounting GQ/Maverick

Gday all, just looking for inspirations for mounting my 100w solar panel in my Maverick. Got a full length aluminium roof rack up top at the minute, and was curious as to how others have mounted there solar panels, either under the rack or whether people are making custom sliding panel mounts. At this stage im only mounting a 100w panel, MPPT, and dual battery using a DC/DC charger.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Woolley, I like where your going, all that you mention . the custom sliding out panel sounds like great idea, slides with locks on them would work, so it does come loose at a 100kms. buy a good MTTP controllor, not cheap one. I have made many mistakes in my setup linked below . regards Alex

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...n-the-GU-wagon
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to altech For This Useful Post:

Woolleybugger (25th July 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply mate. Ill be sure to check out your build thread shortly.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea mate. Looking forward to seeing how you go with it!
    I just mounted mine on top of my flat rack as I am always towing the camper.
    1992 TD42 GQ Patrol Wagon

My GQ Build Page

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 'tradesman' style roofrack, which is the style made from 20mm sq tube. I bought just the basket, and for a 75 series Troopy so it goes the entire length of the roof. Its mounted off individual roof bars, 5 I think, so well supported. The 2 x 200w solar panels are mounted on a frame that has pantograph arms and 2 gas struts. The pantograph arms allow me to lay the solar panel frame down onto the top of the roof basket side rails, and when I need to carry a roof top bag, the whole solar panel platform pivots forward and up to give me a 300mm gap for the bag. The rear gas struts are there to allow the rear of the solar platform to be tilted further forward to get a better orientation to the sun and also to provide approx a 600mm 'throat' to allow better access to the bag for packing/unpacking. I also have a SS wind deflector that mounts on the leading edge of the roofrack.Its a great system, not hard to configure and can be made reasonably light if you change materials to aluminium instead of steel. Its been to the Kimberley and back, smashed around the Vic high country and thru the Gammon and Flinders ranges fully loaded, and on the car for 22 yrs with no structural issues, but it is heavy being steel. I will see if I can find some photos, but currently on site for another week, may have to wait until I get home if not.Cables from the panels enter the vehicle via a cast 'J' box' that is cemented to the outer skin of the roof, with a hole drilled thru the roof skin just behind my drivers seat. cables are then run down the pillar to the floor and to the CTEK charging system.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @PeeBee thats a lot of weight without loading anything
    two 200 watt panels plus 5 x roof bars and the basket
    doesnt leave much change from say 100 kg.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    @PeeBee thats a lot of weight without loading anything
    two 200 watt panels plus 5 x roof bars and the basket
    doesnt leave much change from say 100 kg.
    I know, LOVE IT!!! Hasn't fallen oven yet.