Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auspecial's GQ

Hey all,

Starting a build thread for my patrols, I recently repurchased my original GQ td42 wagon that I first bought in 2008/9. Nowadays she is a bit of a rust heap but the engine is happy and healthy. As such I recently bought a super clean tb42 efi GQ wagon and planning to swap the engines. Never attempted a job this big before but I'm excited at the prospect and will be starting the job in a couple of weeks time. Will be doing lots or reading on the forum at other peoples swaps.

At the moment while I have the engine out I am planning to replace the clutch, rear main seal, and get a bung welded into the sump for when I eventually wack a turbo on her. Anything else I should be looking at doing? What clutch kits do people recommend? I was looking at the Exedy sports tuff clutch from Patrolapart for $575.

Pic is of the new patrol. Will get photos as I complete the swap and update this thread.

65551150_10157309697813493_4080039324257615872_n.jpg
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 22nd May 2020 at 06:29 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auspecial For This Useful Post:

AB (8th July 2019), Family4x4 (23rd May 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be easier to swap bodies I reckon as you will need to swap fuel lines and looms over. I have done a body swap and it wasn't hard at all. But time consuming but in the end you'll have a better car with the right loom etc installed instead of a hacked up loom taco that might work etc. Where abouts are you

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had read that you can use the tb42 tank and lines just got to give them a good run through with diesel fuel? Other reasons im swapping engines is that my current gq box isnt great, I think the synchos are going plus my front diff took a bit of a hit at some point and has a mild bend on one of the radius arm mount points. Im located in north sydney.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fitted an exeedy safari tuff clutch which is probably a bit heavier than what you need but might be what you want if you ever upgrade the pump as well. Terrain tamer sell a rebadged version of it.

My pump and turbo are rated at 250hp(Don't know the actual figures yet) and this was the clutch recommended for me.

Edit:Should say, they recommended the clutch for the expected tourqe at that HP range.. which is somewhere in the 5-600nm range I think
    Last edited by 0-TJ-0; 8th July 2019 at 05:54 PM.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a TD manual swap on my carby auto, pretty easy if you’re half decent on the tools
    All the mounts line up, I did a loom swap, engine bay loom runs from the passenger guard around the aerial along the radiator support and then into the cabin, dash has to come out and then connects under the passenger front seat.

If you have two complete cars would be super easy.

I used all my carby fuel lines and tank, apparently EFI ones won’t work but can’t confirm. All I did was prime it using the fuel filter primer till nothing but diesel came out.

As for clutches, I should have put a better clutch in mine. I just put a $300 ebay special but am now regretting it now I’ve given it some extra power. What’s the power goal?

I spoke to Exedy and they rate they’re safari heavy duty at 850nm at the flywheel, if you want around 600nm at the wheels this would be nearing its limits, I’m going to a UFI clutch that is rated at 850nm at the wheels
    Just another Blue over Silver GQ with another TD conversion

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the tips fellas, I think I will stick with the engine swap rather than the body swap. As for power figures im not sure, havent thought of specific numbers but whatever my stock pump can send out for now and in the future going boost compensated 11mm. As for turbos was thinking the disco potato gt2860 seemed like a pretty nice all round turbo, I have the beginings of a DTS turbo kit, high mount mani, crossover pipe etc. Does anybody know what bung I should be getting welded into the sump while I have it out?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rego is the other thing to think of. Is 1 registered atm and other not. Body swap is actually very easy. You'll end up doing loom swap anyways to make it "right". Engine and box swap is easy to though so haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update time, I began the swap on Sunday 21/7:

• Day 1 - Spent the day labelling all the wires in the td42 engine bay and taking off what was connecting the engine to the engine bay.
      Being the weekend had a bunch of mates around to give an extra hand. Didn't have any issues in this department until we tried to free
      the engine from the bell housing. Didn't realise that we also had to undo the starter motor bolts so did that but still no luck. Ended up
      getting a hot tip to depress the clutch pedal and this let her free. Unfortunately it was now dark and we discovered that the engine
      crane did jack high enough to clear the front of the bay despite letting down the tyres.
    • Day 2 - Initially I planned to spend the day just cleaning the components I had removed and doing my best to prep for when another
      mate with a large truck mounted crane would come to assist. Fortunately some more hot internet tips came in the form of taking the
      springs out. Only needed to take one side out and it seemed like the engine would make it out so I gave it a shot and out she came. Good stuff!
      I then removed the clutch pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel. The took the sump off and that concluded the day. A hot tip for anyone doing the
      clutch, the flywheel bolts are tight AF and the crank will spin as you try to undo them. So put one of the bell housing bolts back into the engine
      near the top of the flywheel and jam something into the flywheel teeth and against the bolt to stop the flywheel turning.
    • Day 3 - Shopping day. Spent the majority of the day down in the industrial area firstly getting the flywheel machined and also getting an oil
      drain plug welded into the sump for my future turbo project. In the afternoon managed to get the sump back onto the vehicle which was rather
      annoying given the trillions of bolts Nissan decided to use and working upside down while the engine is on the crane.
    • Day 4 - Got my rear main seal installed today, nothing too tricky, definitely a destructive removal technique used to get the old one out,
      but nothing a screwdriver and some needle nose pliers couldn't fix. Also got my Exedy heavy duty clutch installed. Used the opposite technique
      on the flywheel bolts to get them torqued up again. In the afternoon started labelling wires and ripping off components off my tb42. Radiator
      drained and removed, air box removed (PIA), power steering drained. Tomorrow I am hoping to get the tb42 out for Friday when I will have a
      mate over to hopefully help getting the td42 into its new home.

And some piccies, my phone camera is broken so these are crappy but at least something.
    Great success, she is out. Old patrol looking sad.
    signal-2019-07-22-144150-1.jpg
    Shiny new clutch.
    signal-2019-07-24-110832.jpg
    AN -10 Oil Drain Fitting "Future Proofing"
    signal-2019-07-23-171902.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auspecial For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (25th July 2019), Family4x4 (23rd May 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some questions for the Patrol gurus. I plan to convert my tb42 wiring to run the td42. Seems someone straight forward but looking for any tips and hints. What part of the tb loom do you use for the fuel cut solenoid on the injector pump? I understand I need to extend the alternator wiring also.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I 5hink from what has been said,get the rd wire loom,plug it in from left hand guard by Ariel and everything should be on nee loom

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast