Thread: Auspecial's GQ

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    I 5hink from what has been said,get the rd wire loom,plug it in from left hand guard by Ariel and everything should be on nee loom
    You mean I should take the td loom from the passenger side and plug it into the tb? The fuel cut solenoid and such seems to come from the drivers side though?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate when i did mine(long time ago lol), I picked up a wire that sent to the carby, was a brown one from memory and used that one. Although it was on gas pretty sure it was a factory plug and wiring.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome thanks for the tip, mine is an efi so may just have to do some hunting on the wiring diagrams for an appropriate pin. Did you use any of your TD loom when you did it?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah didn't have a donor car so just adapted the TB loom. I've put an aftermarket Boggart glow plug timer in hooked up to the TD cluster and works well, tach is wired into the pin on back of cluster too. Only thing i haven't done is hooked up the lamp for the water separator on the fuel filter but imagine wouldn't be too hard. . Apart from that they're pretty similar just extend wiring across to alternator. .

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    legend thanks mate, will update this thread with my success failures.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Nah didn't have a donor car so just adapted the TB loom. I've put an aftermarket Boggart glow plug timer in hooked up to the TD cluster and works well, tach is wired into the pin on back of cluster too. Only thing i haven't done is hooked up the lamp for the water separator on the fuel filter but imagine wouldn't be too hard. . Apart from that they're pretty similar just extend wiring across to alternator. .

Hey mate what did you do about the petrol fuel pump? Did you just leave it in and disconnect the wires from an access point in the boot or something like that?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update time:
    • Day 5 - Taking more things off the tb42 including battling with the damned top two bell housing bolts. Made worse on the tb42 by there being way more junk at the back of the firewall and having the factory sound deadening.
    • Day 6 - Finally got the last two bell housing bolts out in the morning, was planning on jacking up the engine, removing the engine mounts and then lowering it right down to access them but ended up using the double
      spanner trick to get them cracked and then used a ratcheting spanner to remove them. The ratcheting spanners have been an absolute godsend on this job. After that the engine came out pretty quick smart. Only needed to remove
      one spring from the front suspension and she cleared the front on the 500kg peg of the crane, even with 33's. Next lot of jobs included swapping over some fuel lines for the fuel filter, power steering lines, and swapping the bell housings.
      We did the thrust bearing at this time also. It was then one last double check to make sure we had done everything correctly and in the TD when. Took us ages of very careful lowering and adjusting to get the engine lined up to the
      bell housing but we got their in the end and managed to slot a couple of bolts before it got dark. To anyone playing along at home, remove the fan and viscous hub to give yourself maximum room in the bay when you're putting one in.
    • Day 6 - Had a little go at lining up the engine mounts this morning but no luck then had to do non fun stuff to finance the project. Hoping to get it all done and dusted tomorrow.

TD42 waiting its turn.
    signal-2019-07-26-174305-5.jpg
    Last minute prep. Fresh engine mounts visible.
    signal-2019-07-26-174305-3.jpg
    Empty bay. Bell housing swapped, new thrust bearing, fuel filter and lines swapped, and power steering lines swapped.
    signal-2019-07-26-174305-2.jpg
    Driveway explosion.
    signal-2019-07-26-174305-6.jpg

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auspecial For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (28th July 2019), Rossco (7th August 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 7 - Big day today, got the engine mounts lined up which was a huge pain on my own, lots of jiggling and slowly lowering and lifting the engine but eventually got it.
    Got all the bell housing bolts buttoned up and then began reinstalling components. Starter motor was tough on my own but the rest fell into place somewhat easily.
    A couple of tips:
    • I had left the oil filter on as I had only recently changed them but putting the starter back in would have been 200% easier had I removed them.
    • When using shackles for the engine crane, on the rear mount make sure you have the shackle undo towards the engine, it will get jammed against the firewall otherwise.
    • The fuel lines on my tb42e body were smaller than the lines from the td42 fuel filter so I am off to enzed today to get an adaptor. Will update with specs.

Today I am sourcing a fuel line adaptor as when we tried to start her the fuel pump kicked in and she pumped out fuel onto the driveway.
    I am also getting some waterproof electrical connectors to neaten up the wiring.
    Finally getting a relay and fuse to connect up the glowplugs, anybody know what size fuse I should be using?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of 'adapter' are you getting for the fuel return line? I would have thought there would be a return line required right back to the tank?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auspecial View Post
    anybody know what size fuse I should be using?
    I've got this for fuse references, pulled that off of Google:

Wire Gauge------Recommended
    -------------------Maximum Fuse Size
    00 awg-----------400 amps
    0 awg------------325 amps
    1 awg------------250 amps
    2 awg------------200 amps
    4 awg------------125 amps
    6 awg------------80 amps
    8 awg------------50 amps
    10 awg-----------30 amps
    12 awg-----------20 amps
    14 awg-----------15 amps
    16 awg-----------7.5 amps

As for what Nissan used, I'll check my Haynes manual tonight as I can't find a wiring diagram that shows the glow plug circuit on here.
    Last edited by Jimmyboyjr4; 29th July 2019 at 10:24 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast