Hybrid View

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few Patrol-y questions.

Hi all. As per my introductions, we scored a Patrol.
    I initially wanted fairly newer machine. We were eyeing off 2015/16 diesels. We were pretty much sold on a new Dmax .
    But then, my boss, said hey lets have a chat! So we got a fair price on this thing with a coupla things like an awning, second battery and he even left a fridge in there for us. You ripppa! Pity it was empty...It is a 2006 diesel turbo, 4200.

So we bought it off our boss, who provided us with every single receipt he spent on it, all the way down to oil purchase receipts from repco and what not. So it has been looked after pretty well, but there are some things I'd like to get some idea on.
    The car is nearing 200k. 10,000 oil / filter intervals.
    We took it to a mechanic / 4wd place to get a good look ova . All seems well. But he did mention a coupla thingies.

Disclaimer: The following is written from an absolute patrol nuffy. So I'm typing in Patrol-y jargon from my memorized conversation with a mechanic...

1. The car is missing a ambient temp. sensor that hooks up to the pump. He is surprised the car is running as well, as it is without it. We found the spot on the front where it goes / but cables have been cut just before it. Should I leave this or spend the coin on it??
    After some googledocking, these is what popped up.

https://patrolapart.com.au/product/g...ir-temp-sensor

2. The 2nd cog [sometimes] doesn't want to receive smoothly. It needs all planets aligned before insertion happens.
    Mechanic replaced the oil and said, not to worry about it. These patrol boxes can stand up in a fight fairly well! Should I be concerned or is he fair dinkum? All the other gears are no worries.

3. There is NO history of brakes and/or hub maintenance. For example wheel bearings. He [the seller] cannot recall ever having it done / and nothing on receipts either. Mechanic checked front bearings out and tiny bit of a nip up supposedly, but otherwise all good.

Looking forward to the feedback .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can give you my experiance on 2. And 3..

My second cog is a bit dicky on really cold mornings.. and sometimes if I'm trying to jump around gears a bit when it's warm. It's never really changed and hasn't given me any real grief.

If you're unsure of thier history best just to give the front bearings a clean and re-grease. They'll last for yonks as long as they've been well looked after. Any abnormal wear should be pretty apparent when looking at them.

The rear bearings are a "wet" bearing as far as I'm aware. Lubricated by the diff oil. My mechanic told me there's not much to be done with these. Apparently they'll last forever but big job if they do give up the ghost.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Score!!!!!! What did you pay? Wagon?

TD42Ti with 200k on it is glorious!!!!

Not sure about that ambient sensor. Not even sure what it does actually. Lol.

It's a beast gear box, get used to it and you will probably find you will stop noticing it.

200kms is pretty good for the front end. If the mechanic said it looks good then believe him. To tighten wheel bearings is a 10 minute job for both sides. When the time comes rebuild the hubs can be done at home too. There might even be a thread here to walk you through both those jobs ......

Pics mate. Give us a look at it.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh.... and from factory yoy have about 80rwkws of power... You can find another 100kws under that bonnet if you really want it.. they can get pretty lively..
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And I promise, in 5 years you will have lost bugger all in depreciation on your 06 TD42. Your 2016 Dmax will have halved in price. Consider this a keeper mate. Great investment.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    And I promise, in 5 years you will have lost bugger all in depreciation on your 06 TD42. Your 2016 Dmax will have halved in price. Consider this a keeper mate. Great investment.
    Thank you mate for all your responses.
    Unfortunately, plans for this car don't stretch out that far. At this stage anyway.
    Me and the wifey are down here for a project and once it's complete we're off back to northern warmer waters. And, we have plans which we doubt might involve the patrol. Circa 2 years at this stage.
    During this time we'd like to use the patrol to see as much of vic as possible. Might even venture down to arctic tassie.
    First port of call taking the car to see some snow.
    The patrol was merely a sheer luck spur of the moment right time right place event for us. Boss found out were after something more mobile and here we are...
    And we jumped on it. I will be honest I was entirely blind to different motor configurations on this, and whats good whats not. The body and setup of the car was what won me over.

Re: power
    Ive jumped out of a 2018 mustang into this. Power levels are different planets. But I will adapt eventually. I wont be chasing ponies out of it. Nor will I have time! More than anything id like it to be reliable.
    Which, so far it seems ive dipped in the right pond!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MustangGary For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd July 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangGary View Post
    Unfortunately, plans for this car don't stretch out that far. At this stage anyway.
    Me and the wifey are down here for a project and once it's complete we're off back to northern warmer waters. And, we have plans which we doubt might involve the patrol. Circa 2 years at this stage.
    During this time we'd like to use the patrol to see as much of vic as possible. Might even venture down to arctic tassie.
    The patrol was merely a sheer luck spur of the moment right time right place event for us. Boss found out were after something more mobile and here we are...
    And we jumped on it. I will be honest I was entirely blind to different motor configurations on this, and whats good whats not. The body and setup of the car was what won me over.

Ive jumped out of a 2018 mustang into this. Power levels are different planets. But I will adapt eventually. I wont be chasing ponies out of it. Nor will I have time! More than anything id like it to be reliable.
    You'll have no problems with reliability. It's only just run in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangGary View Post

Awesome. then the bright side is you will get your money back in full in 2 years. wont drop a dime mate. cant say the same about the Dmax. Youd drop 10k for sure.

This will take you anywhere you point it. if your only here for 2 years with your Wife then you simply MUST come to Licola for the Family Snow trip mate. its in a couple of weeks and will be a blast. We might not find snow..(We probably will) but we will have a bloody great weekend mate.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...26th-29th-July

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (4th July 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Awesome. then the bright side is you will get your money back in full in 2 years. wont drop a dime mate. cant say the same about the Dmax. Youd drop 10k for sure.

This will take you anywhere you point it. if your only here for 2 years with your Wife then you simply MUST come to Licola for the Family Snow trip mate. its in a couple of weeks and will be a blast. We might not find snow..(We probably will) but we will have a bloody great weekend mate.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...26th-29th-July
    thanks for the warm invite mudrunner.
    prior engagements mean we cannot make it. but will look to future meets perhaps.

ive gone from sports cars just jump in and drive. my old bone have a rude awakening crawling around under this thing.
    plus as our move to melb. is only temp. we have not brought much in terms of tools so any work will have to go to workshops.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all.
    We took our new patrol around town for a bit . Drove all over some of the northern mountains. To be honest we have no idea where we went.
    We just explored whittlesea, kinglake areas. Beautiful albeit a tad windy today.

Patrol behaved really well. Very pleased thus far. The motor however definitely has that truck like vibe and it needs to be driven like it. Something i will have to get used to after coming from a v8 sports car.