Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

td42ti radiator over flow

hi all.

i have just got a 2005 gu and considering the history with over heating, thought i would start going thru and doing stuff light new hoses, coolant flush, new thermostat (also bolts i have read here some where.....)

It has two over flow tanks as standard, one pressurized and the other just the standard traditional over flow tank.....thou mine has had the pressurized tank by passed....... so no hoses to it, the hose from the radiator goes straight to the non pressurized tank, the the hose that normally connects to the thermostat housing has been removed (and fitting blanked off).

i have read that the hose that runs from the pressure tank can rub on the alternator if a second battery is fitted (which i have) but would have thought that ease to over come.....

i am assuming it was either a quick fix or done by some one that did not know what they were doing as the radiator cap on the radiator is the standard one (ie, no spring loaded pressure by pass) and the spring loaded one that is originally on the pressure tank is still there, doing nothing, so basically the system does not hold any pressure.....not ideal......

whilst its not really an issue at the moment with cool temps and just using it for a bit of running around, i want to do this before i take it on a run some where....

can anyone advise if this is a 'done mod' for some reason or should i get new hoses etc and hook it all back up?

cheers in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day TBG mate!
    Are you sure its not a 3.0L converted to 4.2.
    Our older clackers nuffy us known have been most simple single overflowing/kettleing :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Mb
    i have all the original docs with the car so yeah...

The nissan work shop manual ( supplement 6 i think it was) has the same setup for both the td42ti and the 3.0 ....the older td42's just have the old simple over flow, at least according to the workshop manual......

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thornburyguy For This Useful Post:

MB (1st July 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thou i should add that the hose part numbers from the pressure tank to the thermostat are different between the 3.0 and td42ti (i assume as the thermostats are in different locations...)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G’day TBG mate!
    Are you sure its not a 3.0L converted to 4.2.
    Our older clackers nuffy us known have been most simple single overflowing/kettleing :-)

The last of the mighty TD42's MB run the same setup as the ZD mate.

As for the OP. I would suggest putting it all back to how its supposed to be. Who ever owned before you has butchered it. I have never heard of any hoses rubbing against the alternator aswell. Seems to me that's simply a disorganised cooling system setup. In regards to the TD and overheating issues. If yours is completely stock, and the cooling system is setup and working as it should, you have no concerns. The overheating issue is more for TD with bigger pumps and turbo pushing for bigger HP.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

thornburyguy (1st July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The last of the mighty TD42's MB run the same setup as the ZD mate.

As for the OP. I would suggest putting it all back to how its supposed to be. Who ever owned before you has butchered it. I have never heard of any hoses rubbing against the alternator aswell. Seems to me that's simply a disorganised cooling system setup. In regards to the TD and overheating issues. If yours is completely stock, and the cooling system is setup and working as it should, you have no concerns. The overheating issue is more for TD with bigger pumps and turbo pushing for bigger HP.
    What he said... Put it back to standard and start again. You are chasing ghosts you don't even understand. Start from scratch.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

thornburyguy (1st July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had super duper great success finally installing an OEM $600 :-( radiator back in Mrs MB’s 19 year old GU family wagooon last year. Keep It Simple & Stupid me needs!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mudski, was thinking as such but was not sure if there was another reason (apart from the previous owner being a butcher!)

Its fairly stock, running about 15psi boost (not sure what standard is ?) and a 3" exhaust, i dont really want to worry about numbers, just make it supper reliable for some long trips. so once i have some new hoses etc, touch wood i have nothing to worry about.

Ps, just looked at your 5 min table for draws thread, was thinking about doing that on the weekend :-)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thornburyguy View Post
    Thanks mudski, was thinking as such but was not sure if there was another reason (apart from the previous owner being a butcher!)

Its fairly stock, running about 15psi boost (not sure what standard is ?) and a 3" exhaust, i dont really want to worry about numbers, just make it supper reliable for some long trips. so once i have some new hoses etc, touch wood i have nothing to worry about.

Ps, just looked at your 5 min table for draws thread, was thinking about doing that on the weekend :-)
    I sanded the table back last Saturday and bought some spray laquer for it. Just to seal it up.

As for the cooling system. Get it back to stock, give it a birthday, maybe chuck in a new stat. If you need a new rad, get a Koyorad brand. They are Japanese made, made to OEM spec and are the same if not better than OEM. Also cheaper. Cooldrive sells these radiators too.