Thread: Replacing GQ Patrol Roof Liner

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing GQ Patrol Roof Liner

Hi all

I've replaced the roof liner in the Patrol wagon and thought i'd share my experience and photos. It wasn't an overly difficult task, it just required a little time and patience.

The first step was to remove the old head liner. Not very difficult. It's one single piece with a couple of wire hoops that support it in the roof with the edges tucked into the pinch welds around the front and rear doors and window seals. I didn't need to remove the windows to remove the roof liner, by simply pulling at it gently, it came away by itself. And in one piece. The rear view mirror and sun visors needed to be removed to get the head liner off in one piece.
    Then you're left with the cotton mill scrap rubbish that they use for sound deadening. It's only held up with double sided tape and peels away. Unfortunately the tape sticks very well to the roof and is difficult to remove.

You can see in the pics that there are 3 support beams that run across the roof. The roof is not riveted to this, only glued on with a couple of dabs of sealant. When i had the roof bare, i was able to lift the roof from the beams in a few sections so i took the opportunity to use ample amounts of Sikaflex to re glue the roof to the supports. This did stop one of the annoying clunking sounds the Patrol had.

While the roof was bare i applied some Dynamat and some sound proofing foam.

IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

bomberNZ (2nd November 2016), Clunk (20th August 2015), MudRunnerTD (20th August 2015), NissanGQ4.2 (22nd August 2015), Rossco (20th August 2015), Winnie (20th August 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the Patrols roof has the 3 support beams that run across the roof, i cut four sections of carpet to cover each section. I did it in segments at a time to make installation a lot easier. Also, if you look at the bare roof pics, you can kind of see that the perimeter of the entire roof section has a void like section, and using this, i was able to tuck the edge of the carpet into. This holds the carpet in place very well. I also took the opportunity while it was bare to apply bulk rust proofing into the inside seams to prevent rust. I am lucky with this Patrol in that it doesn't have any rust.
    Using Sikaflex on the carpet, i applied it to one section of roof at a time. It was tucked into the voids on the edges and the lumps and bumps worked out by hand to help smooth out the Sikaflex. I used Sikaflex because i didn't want something that was quick drying for this very reason. When i was happy with the result, i used a large section of ply wood to cover the majority of carpet and some timber to prop it up firmly into the roof and let it dry over night. I repeated this another 3 times to cover the rest of the roof sections. By using the ply wood and propping it up, it did result in a very nice flat finish that impressed me.

I should have mentioned first, while i still had the 3 support beams visible, i installed some 6mm rivnuts that were going to be used later on. In the last pic, you can see some screws installed which don't really serve any purpose in holding the carpet in. It's just so all the holes line up when i go to install them later on.

The perimeter sections of the roof weren't too difficult to cover up. The front and rear were very easy. Having everything removed, such as rear view mirrors, sun visors, rear bar door latches and what ever else there was, i used the yellow contact adhesive where you apply the glue to both surfaces and wait 20 minutes until they're both tacky. So i cut a section of carpet that would cover either the front or rear section, remembering that any excess can either be covered by the front window seal or the rear bar door pinch weld, and tucked into the void section.

The left and right sides were covered by dressing some timber with the carpet and screwing them in place. I used rivnuts on the side sections also.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

Clunk (20th August 2015), MudRunnerTD (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pillars are easy to cover as the pinch welds hide all the bad and dodgyness and using a mallet can be easily applied onto a surprisingly thick surface. Using the contact adhesive with a section of carpet roughly the same size, applied and all the edges worked with your fingers, then a sharp knife to cut the edge sections off and then re apply the pinch welds then done!

I was able to do this to all the pillars as they all employ either pinch welds or window seals around one of the edges where you can tuck a small section under to make everything nice and neat.

Here is the end result

I didn't mention things such as having to cut out small sections for the roof lights and there was a lot of trial and error involved, but all in all it isn't a hard job and everyone that has hopped into the Patrol has been impressed. Hope this helps anyone wanting to change the roof liner.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

Clunk (20th August 2015), MudRunnerTD (20th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would love to go for a quick ride in your car... Must be like driving a little soundproof room

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Parksy (22nd August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very very tidy indeed..... so when are you coming over to WA?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Top job there mate. Something thats on my list is to insulate the roof cavity.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers gents. It is a nice quiet patrol but filming while I'm driving just doesn't do it justice. Still a few annoying noises but I know where they are coming from.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work, thanks for the pictures gotta re-glue my roof skin as the roof flaps in certain conditions

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old post I know but looking at doing this. Looks great. How it is done around the bottom of the rear windows? is it just butted up to the rubber or did you manage to tuck it in behind the rubber? what thickness was the carpet and what kind?