Thread: Harrop 2300 supercharger to Optimiser 6500

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Rounding back on this conversation, I have had mine on the road now and cannot detect any deficiency in either steering or brakes. The hydroboost over the willwoods is great, very firm and progressive and pulls up far better than anything to date i have had. The Astra remains as the energ backup system, however probably one of those things that will never get used - with luck.
    I'm still happy with mine, works well once the ECB pads have warmed up. I've also now fitted a VF Commodore UP28 electric vacuum pump for the factory diff lock so I can get rid of the vacuum pump on the alternator.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (7th April 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    I'm still happy with mine, works well once the ECB pads have warmed up. I've also now fitted a VF Commodore UP28 electric vacuum pump for the factory diff lock so I can get rid of the vacuum pump on the alternator.
    John, the Willwood pads were a shitshow to begin with, needed to be bedded in and the first corner out of the garage the car 'slid forward with full brakes, frightening. Anyway, after they were 'conditioned they stopped ok, well better than the twin pot calipers. The hydroboost finishes it off for me , very similar to a passenger car performance, not a bit heavy truck. I purchased a Proflow vac pump to run as a spare before I went Hydroboost, cant find it, so bought another smaller vac pump as the spear, but I only have cruise control and clutch booster under vac, so can live with the chev vac pump going out.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 8th April 2024 at 10:56 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

jff45 (8th April 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting closer, inch by inch. Ran the big wire down to the back today, sheathed it in 3/4" heater hose for mechanical protection, spent a good 2 hrs resolving a potential hot spot where Brunswick have shoe horned the chev into the engine bay, but close to the brake line. Sheathed the brake line in 1100 degC super insulation, then installed 4 layers of high temp fibregalss aluminised matting over that, and installed some spacer blocks under the interchiller lines to create an air gap where the EGT probe - also insulated in the 1100 degC sheath, passes under it.
    The details take the time.
    Piped up the hydraulic cooler yesterday and let the sealant 24hrs to cure, ran it up and no leaks. the cooler hold a full half volume of the tank which was a surprise, so next job is to top the hydraulic reservoir up, out with the tailshaft - nothing like great access on this build. Resealed the services box under the tray, all ready to pick the pod up from @MB on Wednesday and bring it home. (waiting for the wife to go out then transfer a layer of storage to her side of the garage so the new truck with canopy will fit, working on a whole new level of sneaky!)
    Omce home there is maybe another 60hrs of electrical and final fit out to complete the pod. Heading back to the mine at the end of next week for two weeks, so program gets a break.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (10th April 2024), jff45 (8th April 2024), mudnut (7th April 2024), mudski (8th April 2024), Stropp (7th April 2024), Touses (7th April 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    John, the Willwood pads were a shitshow to begin with, needed to be bedded in and the first corner out of the garage the car 'slid forward with full brakes, frightening. Anyway, after they were 'conditioned they stoffed ok, well better than the twin pot calipers. The hydroboost finishes it off for me , very similar to a passenger car performance, not a bit heavy truck. I purchased a Proflow vac pump to run as a spare before I went Hydroboost, cant find it, so bought another smaller vac pump as the spear, but I only have cruise control and brake booster under vac, so can live with the chev vac pump going out.
    My factory cruise control, which I've now removed, has its own little vacuum pump in the unit on the firewall.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beast is home with the canopy on, thanks to @MB and his trusty shed and tractor. Boost pump developed a faultand essentially stopped the car, think I will be looking at a different make, the Aeroflow has done a good job - need to ensure its not electrical first, as the pressure was wavering on the fuel pressure gauge and then stopped boosting all together. It was given a rest for 5 minutes and has not missed a beat since - dont know yet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (11th April 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swapped out the Aeroflow Lift Pump to the carter Black today, was a journey of differences, but 4 hrs later all done with new mounting configuration. I have heard a lot of people saying the carter Black was a noisy pump, would disagree, its quieter than the Aeroflow, better vibration isolation , sits at 12PSIG at idle as the Aeroflow does, and does not drop under acceleration, so happy days, still have a spare Aeroflow if this dies out the back of nowhere. Couple of minor tidy up, still need to rsolve the interchiller circuit, I changed it on the advice of the supplier and it isn't performing - bit more thought required. Apart from that , looking great. Back to the mine to 2 weeks so in a good place I think.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (15th April 2024)

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354